free website stats program Either I'm getting old or I'm an idiot. | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Either I'm getting old or I'm an idiot.

I thought I read proper shutting down of your bikes computer (ECM), was kill switch first, then ignition. Kinda like proper shutdown of your home computer, vs. pulling the ac cord out of the wall socket to shut it off. No?

I had the same problem. Using black electrical tape, I secured the kill switch in the "run" position, that way I felt "resistance" when I went to push the switch. That resistance reminded me to turn off the ignition. didn't take but a few weeks and muscle memory took over. I now shut off the bike with the ignition first.

I thought I read proper shutting down of your bikes computer (ECM), was kill switch first, then ignition. Kinda like proper shutdown of your home computer, vs. pulling the ac cord out of the wall socket to shut it off. No?

That would be correct, tho alot easier for most to just switch off the ignition, I still use the kill switch and always will just my learned way

Re: Either I'm getting old or I'hitting the run switch to offm an idiot.

That would be correct, tho alot easier for most to just switch off the ignition, I still use the kill switch and always will just my learned way

Jack I think a question a lot of us have is, does shutting the bike down with the ignition switch only cause any problems with the electronics? Or does hitting the run switch to off make any difference to the system? I have on occasion used the off/run switch, but I mainly use the ignition switch only, and I have not seen any difference in the operation of either the non computer set up of my '94FLSTC or the computer operated system of my '05FLTRI.

Jack I think a question a lot of us have is, does shutting the bike down with the ignition switch only cause any problems with the electronics? Or does hitting the run switch to off make any difference to the system? I have on occasion used the off/run switch, but I mainly use the ignition switch only, and I have not seen any difference in the operation of either the non computer set up of my '94FLSTC or the computer operated system of my '05FLTRI.

Dont know the complete answer here Don you have a very good point, I see this like the great oil debate, not going to stop some one from the way they are comfortable with, IMO as soon as it warms up a bit we need to do some coffee:D

My 2010 Dyna & 2010 Softail owners manual says to shut off engine with "run/stop" switch and then turn off ignition/power switch.
wilks3

My 2010 Dyna & 2010 Softail owners manual says to shut off engine with "run/stop" switch and then turn off ignition/power switch.
wilks3

And this is the way it's taught in the MSF schools but, as Jack said, nothing's ever going to change some people's minds on this topic.

I think MSF teaches it this way so you establish some form of muscle memory to kill your engine just using your thumb and not having to remove your hands from the handlebars. Never know when this might come in handy.

I read up on this on here and what I came away with was kill sw then ignition was the shutdown sequence that let the ecm log error codes properly on shutdown. But to the OPs subject, I"ve also forgotten to turn the ignition switch off as well a few times. Hasn't come back to bite me yet, but like the idea of actually paying attention to what I'm doing and using a shutdown sequence of kill/ign/kickstand. Also like the idea of going back into the hotel room for a last check to grab whatever it is I usually leave behind :laugh

dont use the kill switch. i dont. when i got my bike back from the dealer i tried to start it and it would not start. it took me a while to figure out that they used the kill switch to shut it off.

dont use the kill switch. i dont. when i got my bike back from the dealer i tried to start it and it would not start. it took me a while to figure out that they used the kill switch to shut it off.
LOL, ya, I hate it when my routine is changed too. Same thing happens to me when I drive a vehicle with an automatic. Every time I hit the brakes, my left foot heads for the clutch pedal.

Back