free website stats program Either I'm getting old or I'm an idiot. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Either I'm getting old or I'm an idiot.

I'm going to start using the ignition switch to turn the bike on and off. The habit of doing that will cure my problem. I've read both sides of whether it's good to bad to use the ignition switch but I've read many who do it and never had a problem. And I am causing problems if I forget to turn it off.

In the safety class we had lots of tips and acronyms for things like this. When you stopped the bike you went from right to left: 1)hit the kill switch, 2)ignition, then 3)kick stand. I'm so use to doing it now that I don't remember the tips but this one may have been "kiss". (K)ill switch, (I)gnition, (S)tand.

We all forget. I've been walking back to check things fro twenty years.

In the MSF calsses, they teach "Thumb (kill switch), Key (ignition), valve (fuel shut off if so equipped)." Works for me, and the ECM cycles through its shutdown routine.

I know I'm getting old. My ex-wife may call me an idiot, but every once in a while I'll do that. I have gotten in to the habit of looking back to see if the headlights are still on.:D

My husband "nagged" me enough about using the ignition and not the kill switch that now it is habit. I don't even think to use the kill and have had no issues. Habits can be a wonderful thing! Age..... Not so much!

I use the kill switch but lock the ignition before I leave the bike.
Keep the key in a winshield bag and lock it as I stand up to walk away.

In the safety class we had lots of tips and acronyms for things like this. When you stopped the bike you went from right to left: 1)hit the kill switch, 2)ignition, then 3)kick stand. I'm so use to doing it now that I don't remember the tips but this one may have been "kiss". (K)ill switch, (I)gnition, (S)tand.

We all forget. I've been walking back to check things fro twenty years.

09RKC has the right idea, there is a mental "checklist" you should always do when starting and stopping your bike...BESIDES the "look" (that 15 second pre-flight and post-flight inspection). :s

You would be surprised if you add inspection to the list: like finding a nail in a tire before you drive off, or the side stand half buried in the tarmac and such. Once you get into a routine or "habit" it will be automatic. I use FINE-C...Fuel, Ignition, Neutral, Engine Kill, Choke (yeah I have a carb) and add Inspection. :27:

Now that would be a great app for an IPhone.
Some kind of alerter that sounds when you walk away from your bike. I find the little chirpies that some guys have on there bikes alarms are a real(EDIT) but maybe that's where I'll be heading if my memory doesn't improve.

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
09RKC has the right idea, there is a mental "checklist" you should always do when starting and stopping your bike...BESIDES the "look" (that 15 second pre-flight and post-flight inspection). :s

You would be surprised if you add inspection to the list: like finding a nail in a tire before you drive off, or the side stand half buried in the tarmac and such. Once you get into a routine or "habit" it will be automatic. I use FINE-C...Fuel, Ignition, Neutral, Engine Kill, Choke (yeah I have a carb) and add Inspection. :27:
Well said NewHD! When I had a short stint driving for UPS we had to "pre trip" the truck before heading out on our delivery routine. It was essentially a cursory going over of the vehicle. You know, lights working, horn working, mirror's not loose, tires, etc. I have carried that double check routine into my personal life especially when leaving a motel room. I make it a habit to walk back into the room and look in the closets, under the beds, and especially the bathroom. It works for me to be a little obsessive compulsive.:p Doing the same thing with our bikes is a good habit to get into.

I haven't used my kill switch since 2000 when I got the RK, that has followed through now to the low rider and now the ultra, I just use the ignition, whenever I pick up my ultra from the dealer I always think the bike is dead because they use the kill switch, I think they laugh at me from inside the place for the minute or so I have the what the heck happened look on my face!

Another habit I have gotten into is making sure the bike is in neutral, I learned that habit in 1986, when after picking up my new to me magna, I started it up in the DMV parking lot before I got on it and she went flying forward and broke a bunch of parts!

Back