free website stats program Easy Fork Oil Change On Baggers | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

Easy Fork Oil Change On Baggers

My rig is a bit different than described. I just used a brake bleeder with the correct threads 8mmX1.25 pitch for my RK. You can use a tie wrap if you need to tighten tubing on bleeder. I didnt need it. The other part is just a gas, oil, water, 1/4" ball valve with fittings reduced down to accept the clear tubing.

Attachments

• DSCN1007.JPG
    DSCN1007.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 126
  • DSCN0997.JPG
    DSCN0997.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 141
I just did mine not too long ago, and I tried to keep it simple. I removed the ignition switch and the panel under that switch. I then removed the bolts on top of the forks. Next, I removed the drain screws. (advice: buy a couple of spares, I've done this on two bike now and managed to strip out one of the drain plugs. Don't panic if you do, grab a set of vice grips and turn the drain pug out.) I measured the fluid that came out and it was 10.5 oz each side. I put a funnel in the top of the fork and put back about 2 oz at a time, and bounced the front of the bike a few times to make sure the fluid made it past any air pockets. I replace the existing fluid with Bel Ray 10W fork oil. I've done this at 12900 miles and 15000 miles. I know HD recommends service on the forks at 50000 miles, but, looking at the condition of the existing oil, I would not feel comfortable leaving it in there that long.

Attachments

• IMG_0434.jpg
    IMG_0434.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0437.jpg
    IMG_0437.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_0439.jpg
    IMG_0439.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0460.jpg
    IMG_0460.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 87
I just did mine not too long ago, and I tried to keep it simple. I removed the ignition switch and the panel under that switch. I then removed the bolts on top of the forks. Next, I removed the drain screws. (advice: buy a couple of spares, I've done this on two bike now and managed to strip out one of the drain plugs. Don't panic if you do, grab a set of vice grips and turn the drain pug out.) I measured the fluid that came out and it was 10.5 oz each side. I put a funnel in the top of the fork and put back about 2 oz at a time, and bounced the front of the bike a few times to make sure the fluid made it past any air pockets. I replace the existing fluid with Bel Ray 10W fork oil. I've done this at 12900 miles and 15000 miles. I know HD recommends service on the forks at 50000 miles, but, looking at the condition of the existing oil, I would not feel comfortable leaving it in there that long.

I think I like your method,thanx for the post and pictures. :s

I had the dealer install chrome forks with heavy fork oil. It was very stiff ride. I decided to drain the oil myself on my 2011 fltru and got 14 0z. from each fork. With bike on a lift and forks extended and fork caps removed I put back 11 0z. of belray 15wt. fork oil. I am asking if this amount is correct and were the tubes overfilled? I appreciate any advice on this.

Back