free website stats program Easy Fork Oil Change On Baggers | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Easy Fork Oil Change On Baggers

The air assist it basically all up top on the forks, The drain "bolt" goes in the drain hole at the bottom.

It sounds like you are drawing the vacuum from the TOP and using the clear tube to pull in the oil. That will work too.

The valve in my contraption serves to trap the vacuum drawn from the BOTTOM of the tube so you can then close it to switch the tube connected to the bottom into the container of fork oil and open the valve to draw in the fork oil then. That traps the vacuum in the fork leg.

Remember all this is going on JUST from the bottom of the fork leg and nothing is going on at the top of the fork tube.

Gotcha. I figured if I'm letting the air out at the top anyway, why not hook the pump up there, then I could simplify the setup (and to lesser degree the cost) by eliminating the valve, associated hardware and brake lines.

The down side to mine is I'd have to watch in a mirror (or have a friend watch) on the left side of the bike so I'd know when the oil was sucked up completely without over applying vacuum and possibly sucking it up into the air line. While yours is a little more complicated to assemble, but will give greater control on the oil going in, I would think. (and it would work on either style of fork suspension)

Either way - ingenious idea Mr. Data...and way better than the MoCo manual!

Butch

You'll be able to hear the gurgling when the oil is all sucked in without the oil being drawn into the air system using a hand mity vac. There's not that much suction from them to be concerned. Just be sure to get all the pre measured oil into the fork.

You could also make up a hanging bottle with the oil in it and a tube feeding from the bottom of the bottle so you know you got it all in.

You could also make up a hanging bottle with the oil in it and a tube feeding from the bottom of the bottle so you know you got it all in.

ewww, I liiike that idea Mr. Data!

I've seen it done for brakes, didn't think to apply it in this case. A 12oz water bottle would be perfect. Could add an air nipple to the cap to attach the hose and it would be reusable.

Mr. Data Would have you know of a ideal fork oil weight with a sidecar attached to my 08 roadking? I ordered my Mity vac. pump from Amazon last night and was thinking of using Belray's 15wt. Any commets are welcomed.

Need advise. I'm going to help a friend change fork oil on a 2010 UC. He has put together the kit used to change the oil. My question is do the forks need to be pumped up and down to get all the fluid out or just let them drain by them selfs? The manual say 10.7 OZ. But under the fill area it says pour slightly more than specified in table 2-24. I think we will try 11 OZ and see how it goes. Also the mityVac only pulls down about to 20in of vacuum. Just wondering what you think and if you have done this before. Thanks for you replys,

Excellent, stumbled across this on a sleepless night.

Heck, I have the pump and my son uses O2, so i have the tubing already!

Back