free website stats program Easy Clutch Adjustment Method | Page 7 | Harley Davidson Forums

Easy Clutch Adjustment Method

HI, I adjusted my clutch on my '93 FXDL exactly as directed. Now when I tried to roll the bike with the motor off, it will not roll if it is in gear with the clutch lever pulled in. The clutch does not appear to be disengaging all the way. It will roll fine in neutral. Any suggestions?

HI, I adjusted my clutch on my '93 FXDL exactly as directed. Now when I tried to roll the bike with the motor off, it will not roll if it is in gear with the clutch lever pulled in. The clutch does not appear to be disengaging all the way. It will roll fine in neutral. Any suggestions?
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
MBHD93,

I sent you a PM,, Also IF the bike has Not been run yet when you are trying to push it While in gear with the clutch handle pulled, Probably, The surface tension on the clutch discs are not cooperating as they need to be Broken Loose.. Starting it and then putting it into gear CLUNK, does the trick.

If Clutch is adjusted properly, you should be able to Hold clutch handle in for 5 seconds or more, after motor is started at IDLE, it should not clunk into gear...

signed....BUBBIE

Well, I sarted the bike, in gear with the handle pulled in. It lurched a little forward then the clutch broke loose and now it rolls just fine with the handle pulled in. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

after my third unsuccessful adjustment, I run my screw all the way out to prove to myself their is a problem(threads came out too). The factory cross threaded it and I was never moving it enough or at all, but it would lock tight. It only slipped at high speed/high gears 2 up. I put in new adjuster plate and it slipped worse, the damage was done. (could have been heavy oil, syn oil, weak spring,clutch plates looked ok)After 7000 miles, SE heavy spring and Barnett Kevlar x plate set I have a grabbing clutch. I was going to need stronger clutch anyway. FYI, using B&M original trick shift fluid.

thanks for tips, I was pretty sure I could follow directions !!!

hi guys, been riding about 3 years now honda VTX 1300 and about two months ago got a 2009 ultra classic, getting used to the clunck, happens in all gears except shifting to second, it did when i first got the bike, any thoughts of what has change?

hi guys, been riding about 3 years now honda VTX 1300 and about two months ago got a 2009 ultra classic, getting used to the clunck, happens in all gears except shifting to second, it did when i first got the bike, any thoughts of what has change?

Its not a Honda? That's the only change, I can think of. Next trans. fluid change try Spectro or Redline Shockproof. Either one will quiet your clunk.

thanks for the reply, so much great info out here
so right, not a honda. i love the ultra
i was wondering why shifting to 2nd does not clunk like the others, it almost feels like it takes more effort to shift into second as opposed to other gears
still getting used to the bike and wondering if i should be concerned

thanks for the reply, so much great info out here
so right, not a honda. i love the ultra
i was wondering why shifting to 2nd does not clunk like the others, it almost feels like it takes more effort to shift into second as opposed to other gears
still getting used to the bike and wondering if i should be concerned

Nothing to be concerned with. Ride it like you stole it.

Back