free website stats program Easy Clutch Adjustment Method | Page 9 | Harley Davidson Forums

Easy Clutch Adjustment Method

i got my 2002 fatboy last summer with 14K miles and have put 4K on myself..dealer assured me it had been serviced..whatever that means..i have changed all my fluids (biggest improvement came from draining some thin stuff out of the tranny and putting in redline shockproof)..and think of what to do next. am planning to inspect primary chain tension . seems like i have no complaints about my clutch, and am thinking this is a case of it aint broke so dont fix it. not like a fluid change, this seems like id know i need to do it because it aint working right which is not the case. ive read to adjust clutch at 5K mile intervals, but im hesitant. seems like more than one poster has caused himself problems he didnt have before.

Watch your free travel and keep an eye on the perch, if your friction zone feels OK ride it, that said a good adjustment on a cold clutch is a good idea IMO My new FLRT has NO adjustment I am still not convinced the hydraulic clutch is a good idea JMHO

what is the "perch"?
Im no stranger to friction zone, am newly returned to riding after a 40 year hiatus and have great respect for my bike, so we go to a parking lot regularly where i have some paint marks on 12 foot centers and we practice the jerry palladino stuff..friction zone feels fine .
theres a lot of "improvements" im not sorry my 2002 doesnt have..including the wireless throttle..

I know my clutch made some crazy noises after I looked at it and nothing seemed to work until I turned the adjustment screw inside the case and put medium pressure on the clutch then backed off the adjustment and then did the normal adjustment procedure, all's good now.

what is the "perch"?
Im no stranger to friction zone, am newly returned to riding after a 40 year hiatus and have great respect for my bike, so we go to a parking lot regularly where i have some paint marks on 12 foot centers and we practice the jerry palladino stuff..friction zone feels fine .
theres a lot of "improvements" im not sorry my 2002 doesnt have..including the wireless throttle..

Where the clutch cable mounts to the lever assembly, ideal should be 1/8 inch

i did the adjustment yesterday as described and i like the clutch better now..seems like it is grabbing a little sooner than before and it feels fine..

Hi boys and gals ! I have a little problem with my clutch. No way I can adjust it so that it is fully disengaged when the clutch lever is fully depressed. ( cable , not hydraulic ).It seems like the mechanism inside the transmission cover, with the three ball bearings, is not pushing far enough in the push rod to fully disengage the clutch. I just can't start the bike on compression when my battery is dead, pushing the bike is almost impossible even with the clutch lever fully depressed. I have taken apart the mechanism and it looks like new: no wear at all. Is there an aftermarket kit that I can install to get rid of the problem , or what do you suggest, you guys ? My bike is a FXD 2002. Thanks a lot.
Colas LeGrippa

Hi boys and gals ! I have a little problem with my clutch. No way I can adjust it so that it is fully disengaged when the clutch lever is fully depressed. ( cable , not hydraulic ).It seems like the mechanism inside the transmission cover, with the three ball bearings, is not pushing far enough in the push rod to fully disengage the clutch. I just can't start the bike on compression when my battery is dead, pushing the bike is almost impossible even with the clutch lever fully depressed. I have taken apart the mechanism and it looks like new: no wear at all. Is there an aftermarket kit that I can install to get rid of the problem , or what do you suggest, you guys ? My bike is a FXD 2002. Thanks a lot.
Colas LeGrippa

Sounds like the cable is stretched to it's limit with no adjustment left. Have you ever replaces it? might be time for a new cable.

I just repl'd the cable, dismantled the clutch, adjusted the primary chain slackness ( sorry if this is not the appropriate word ) adjusted the clutch and cable. Put back on the covers, new oil. Works perfect. Thanks !!!

Colas.

I just repl'd the cable, dismantled the clutch, adjusted the primary chain slackness ( sorry if this is not the appropriate word ) adjusted the clutch and cable. Put back on the covers, new oil. Works perfect. Thanks !!!

Colas.

Good to hear, good job.:s

Back