free website stats program E3 Spark Plugs | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

E3 Spark Plugs

Old racing tip , like indexing plugs, it does work tho not many know of this almost a lost art, Knowledge is power only if its used, that is a Quote by the author of The Big Twin Performance Guide who talks about this and many other little known facts to make you faster on race day, Jack

Jack you've got it right, we always index the plugs our race engines for top HP.

I must admit that I have not done this on my bike since I'm not looking to get every little thing out of it.

That's one of those things that make so much sense,that you wonder why all plugs aren't made like that.I'm going to try that out pretty quickly.

I recently bought some new autolite 4164's and see that the gapping electrode arm only comes to the center of the center electrode. I guess that is autolite's way of compromising on the side gapping technique mentioned here.
I just bought some NGK's to try, and I'm impressed with the obvious quality of these NGK's.

You just reminded me that Delphi never answered my e-mail from weeks back asking if the brand of plug would alter the Ion sensor threshold.

Why do companies have these "Ask Us" forms on their web sites that they never read or answer?

Have been using e3s in my 2001 carb dresser since last season and have noticed improved starting and better idiling than stock harley or champion plugs.

I am experimenting right now with some NGK Iridium's (DCPR7EIX) just to see if they will falsely trigger the Ion Sensor. Got to say this much about these plugs......

The Stock HD 6R12 which are resistor plugs measured 34K ohms when new out of the box. After 2-weeks of use, both plugs measured 16K each. A heat gun causes them to swing all over the map. All the way down to 3K ohms when heated up a few hundred degrees.

The NGK's are fixed at 5K and stay there from room temp to 250*. They hardly change at all.

BTW.. I am not doing this to fix any problem because the bike ran great with the stock plugs. Just doing it to see what will happen with Ion sensor. I will report how they perform in the real world..

Very interesting.

The (4) plugs I received (DCPR7EIX 6046) were not pre-gapped like the video quoted. Unless you call .029" the gap you want to run.
I wish I knew what the gap on his plugs were. My engine spec is .038"-.043".
He maybe could have pulled even more of an increase.

3.2 more HP with just 1 day old plugs , I don't think so . How about heat , humidity and heat sink in the engine? None of that counts?

Back