free website stats program E3 Spark Plugs | Harley Davidson Forums

E3 Spark Plugs

HD stock plugs work just fine. The only thing the fancy plugs do better is empty your wallet faster.

It only takes one spark from one electrode to ignite the mixture, 3 of them don't do it any better.

HD stock plugs work just fine. The only thing the fancy plugs do better is empty your wallet faster.

It only takes one spark from one electrode to ignite the mixture, 3 of them don't do it any better.

Well said

Ran them in my riding mower once & then the repair shop swapped them 6-months later when I had it serviced (forgot to tell them they didn't need replacement). Talk about throwing money away - literally. Listen to glider - stick w/the HD plugs.

Note the flame kernel's projection toward piston head
Flame moves toward piston and bulk air/fuel mixture - less quenching on cylinder walls
Reduced time delay in flame growth - shorter path to piston head
Faster flame growth compared to standard plugs
Larger flame kernel moves heat faster into combustion chamber
Larger flame front creates more localized pressure, making a faster pressure rise in cylinder during the power stroke
I seen the demonstration on one of the hot rod tech shows and thought I would try it, I noticed a bit of cough now when I turn my bike off not every time but sometimes, can't notice anyother differences. The shop I take my sccot to recommeneds NGK, he owns 4 Harleys and services many bikes for many m/c's

Thanks Tomp for the interesting read...I remember reading about the advantages of side gaping, but did not know that was the concept with the E3 plug designs. Certainly worthwhile to experiment to see if there IS an advantage.

May want to do it on my next set of plugs...always interested to try something new. Of course with stock HD plugs and Stage I setup per Gliders recommendation (thanks again by the way) I squeezed out 49.5 mpg (3 tankfuls highway, only stopping for gas, out in Northern California on my Sporty this weekend. One 1 year HD plugs (used Gold shell finish (luster has since turned silver) this Easter weekend.

Last edited:
Thanks Guys.....I love this forum. You get straight answers and opinions on what has been tried and how it worked. Thanks again

Performance Unlimited 4-Wheel & Off Road Center - Hartford, Wisconsin - USA Technical Documents

here's a concept that has been around forever. this is the foundation for the old split fire and e3 designs. interesting read, anyway...tomp

Old racing tip , like indexing plugs, it does work tho not many know of this almost a lost art, Knowledge is power only if its used, that is a Quote by the author of The Big Twin Performance Guide who talks about this and many other little known facts to make you faster on race day, Jack

Back