free website stats program Dropped! | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Dropped!

I always like how those of us who have dropped our bikes "Man up" to it. In the three years that I have owned it I have dropped it as many times. Each time it was more of a maneuvering thing rather than dumping it while riding. Super embarrassing nonetheless! I laughed on how we mention the cool factor. Yeah, it's a time where I just wanted to get away!:)

On a ride through the beautiful forrested roads coming out of Whitefish Point, we pulled over on the side of the road for just a rest break, and the last guy to pull in, pulled up into the area and just forgot to put his feet down, came to a stop and down goes the bike lol...We were all watching him pull in for some reason oddly...there were a bunch of pine needles on the ground that cushioned the blow. No damage to him, his bike, or his girlfriend who was on the back.... but was the funniest thing I had seen that day...It happens to the best of us!

Been there, we will all drop or come close to dropping our bikes. My lesson learned when I dropped mine I quit drinking I forgot to put my feet down at a stop sign:s

Back in the sixties (yes I do remember them) I was sitting on my bike with one foot on the ground and the other on the footrest,looking cool,talking to some friends.My leg was getting tired so I decide to shift over to my other foot.Next thing I knew I couldn't get my foot off the peg and I went down with the bike on top of me,looking uncool.Turned out the kickstart pedal was up the leg of my bellbottom jeans.

Bell bottoms? Just how old are you anyhow?LOL
Not really asking, only messing with ya. (and I remember them as well :)

Would'nt mind but it was in full view of lots of people chilling at the cafes along the promenade. Pulled in, killed the engine, kicked out the stand and leaned her over. There's that split second when you realize she's leaned more than normal but by the time I grabbed the bars - too late. She's only a sporty but when it happens and she's on the way, not much you can do about it. Made a surprisingly loud noise but the engine bars saved her. No damage - but lots of attention. When I got her back up (in front of a captive audience) I kicked out the stand again but it just snapped back in. 5 or 6 times this happened. In the end I had to hold the stand out in position with my foot before letting the bike down on it. Ohh...the embarassment of it all.....! When I got back home & checked it I could find nothing really wrong with the jiffy except it looked kinda dry. Applied some lube, worked it and its fine now. Works every time now. I do look after my bike but...such a simple thing that could have been prevented with a drop of oil. My own fault. Might avoid the prom for a while.

Only means 570 lbs fully gassed verses 890 lbs for a tourer...gravity still works in a negative manner if leaned over...:sd Glad nothing was hurt only a little bit of pride. No worries...we all have been there...an unlubricated jiffy stand is more common than you think being out of sight and out of mind, and in a wet climate like Ireland or UK doubly so...:(

The main reason I sold my Road Glide was that it was too top heavy for me to easily manipulate, and I dropped 3 or 4 times in the two years I had it. My old, much lighter FXRS, I didn't drop 4 times in 20 years. My 06 Heritage, which is only about 40lbs lighter than the Road Glide, is MUCH easier for me to handle. Haven't dropped it yet, and it's been a year.

I wouldn't have thought a bike could be "too big to handle" for me, but so it seems. BTW, I wouldn't go back to a big glide for anything. I love my Heritage!

dropped my old 83 goldwing twice, (fingers crossed) have not dropped my Heritage yet...and hope to really keep it that way. This brings up a good question, what is a good lube for the jiffy stand?

I dropped my 650 a long time ago. Does this count, or am I still going to drop my Harley? I must know, I must. Am I a have, or havenot?

Yup, me too! Hate to admit it but I've done it 3 times. Once on the side of the freeway somewhere near Reading CA. On the California coast on hwy 1 and in a gravel parking lot in Lapush WA. All three times moving very slow and off camber grades. fortunately no harm cept to my pride. In the group one of the riders chuckeled....not mean or anything one of the other riders pointed out the very statement that has been repeted over and over in this thread. Those that havn't will.

Three times in three years. Each time, it was walking the bike around/backing up etc.. Twice, it wasn't even running. Each time damaged my ego. I'm old and little...my bike is old and heavy. It wins that battle of strength vs weight.
That said, I've never dropped it once over the winter storage period.:)

Back