free website stats program Dropped! | Harley Davidson Forums

Dropped!

RAWLDYMAN

Would'nt mind but it was in full view of lots of people chilling at the cafes along the promenade.
Pulled in, killed the engine, kicked out the stand and leaned her over. There's that split second when you realize she's leaned more than normal but by the time I grabbed the bars - too late. She's only a sporty but when it happens and she's on the way, not much you can do about it. Made a surprisingly loud noise but the engine bars saved her. No damage - but lots of attention.
When I got her back up (in front of a captive audience) I kicked out the stand again but it just snapped back in. 5 or 6 times this happened. In the end I had to hold the stand out in position with my foot before letting the bike down on it. Ohh...the embarassment of it all.....!
When I got back home & checked it I could find nothing really wrong with the jiffy except it looked kinda dry. Applied some lube, worked it and its fine now. Works every time now.
I do look after my bike but...such a simple thing that could have been prevented with a drop of oil. My own fault.
Might avoid the prom for a while.

Its alright. Two kinds of people, those who have dropped their bikes and those who are going too.

Bodeen

Hang in there, It's happened or will happen to us all if you ride long enough. Best thing to do is realize you've been Humbled, and by all means learn from your experience.

A few weeks ago I was at the bike shop and I saw 2 people drop their bikes. One was a brand new Street Glide that didn't have plates on it yet.

Its has happened to most all of us at one time or another. I have dropped my old bike 3 times and the Harley once.

Been there done that as most have or will. Engine guard, crash bar, highway bar, whatever you want to call them....one of the best additions a rider can make. When a big bike reaches a certain point of tipping for whatever reason, there's not much you can do except let it go and save your back. Glad you are not injured.
Ishmael

in my younger years, I pulled my 1959 Sportster into a hamburger joint, parking lot filled with fresh and deep gravel. I accidently laid it over just about where I was thinking of parking it ........ so to be totally cool, (there were girls present) I just reached down and turned it off and left it there ---- as IF I had 'parked' it there!!!! :s:s:s

Dont beat yourself up too bad - most everyone has done that or simular before you.

Bill

Back