free website stats program Dried bugs on windshield | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

Dried bugs on windshield

I got stung last summer or last fall, I don't remember which.......my hand swelled up just like that. Is an EpiPen for everybody, or only for people who are allergic to bees?

I am really lucky as I have been stung or bitten by almost everything and have had no adverse reaction and I have been round most of the world perhaps being bitten multiple times when young by the highland midge has built up some immunity to insect bites Wife has adverse reaction to highland midge and mosquito bites

Brian

IMG_1870.JPG
I got stung last summer or last fall, I don't remember which.......my hand swelled up just like that. Is an EpiPen for everybody, or only for people who are allergic to bees?

I believe the Epi Pen is for the life threatening allergic reactions. I could be wrong however. ;)

I am really lucky as I have been stung or bitten by almost everything and have had no adverse reaction and I have been round most of the world perhaps being bitten multiple times when young by the highland midge has built up some immunity to insect bites Wife has adverse reaction to highland midge and mosquito bites

Brian
y annoying...but I don't remember getting actually bit by one. However, when I am in your part of the world, I am suffe
The midgies are verring from a -30 to -40* temperature shift, so I am generally pretty well covered. (Long sleeves, long pants, jacket....and it is July) Our temps at home are 80-90*F while you guys may see a 60* day once or twice during our stay. :)

Here is what my hand would normally look like. :)

Had to do a google search for yellow jacket to find out what it was WASP this side of the pond

Brian

They are little but pack a wallop of a sting, and can sting multiple times. My last time was when I put in a new ac unit outside my house, I pried up the old pad with a piece of rebar, out they came, stung three times on my left hand, swelled up like Joy's and the knot didn't go away for weeks.

View attachment 17657

I believe the Epi Pen is for the life threatening allergic reactions. I could be wrong however. ;)

y annoying...but I don't remember getting actually bit by one. However, when I am in your part of the world, I am suffe
The midgies are verring from a -30 to -40* temperature shift, so I am generally pretty well covered. (Long sleeves, long pants, jacket....and it is July) Our temps at home are 80-90*F while you guys may see a 60* day once or twice during our stay. :)

The EpiPen is mostly for those allergic, it will not usually have any detrimental effects on a person who is not. When I moved to the south, courtesy of Uncle Sam, I was introduced to fire ants, my legs were covered before I knew it, went to the ER I was given epinephrine and Benadryl, not allergic just as a precaution because of some many bites.

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 17657

When the midgies are annoying you they are biting only the females bite as they need a blood meal to be able to produce eggs
the males hang about in big balls of midgies and the females fly into the ball and select a mate after the have had a blood meal
the insect is so small that you may not be aware they are actually biting

Brian

Not Yellow Jackets, they have only 1 stinger, but no barb on it, so it doesn't stay in you like a honey bee.

I've used the warm wet towel for ages but the Tee Shirt is a great idea. 30 yrs in the plastics industry and I've been using Novus products. Cleaner, protectant, and scratch remover. Great for the inside of helmet visors too. Most recently, I've discovered Zep ammonia free glass cleaner in the concentrate. Works really well and I like the smell too! There's another product I swear by and that's Purple Slice. It dissolves bugs instantly and you can use it on everything! Leather, plastics, paint, glass and chrome. It's "One Step Detailer" and I swear it's magic. The old timers at the car shows taught me about good old Lemon Pledge too.
Back in 1970 (I think) I had a Bumble Bee hit me right in the Aviator Sunglasses and not only broke a lens out but the impact was so hard my hands came off the handlebars. No Helmet, doing about 80mph. My wife wins for the biggest bug though. It was a turkey I spooked up ahead of her.

I got hit just below the Adam's apple by a bumblebee. It felt like I was punched in the throat. It hurt soooooo bad I had to pull over for almost 30 minutes. Ended up with a bruise the size of a silver dollar and had a hard time swallowing for a week.

I'm allergic to bees and have a script for an Epipen. But I don't carry one. But I probably should.

They are little but pack a wallop of a sting, and can sting multiple times. My last time was when I put in a new ac unit outside my house, I pried up the old pad with a piece of rebar, out they came, stung three times on my left hand, swelled up like Joy's and the knot didn't go away for weeks.

The EpiPen is mostly for those allergic, it will not usually have any detrimental effects on a person who is not. When I moved to the south, courtesy of Uncle Sam, I was introduced to fire ants, my legs were covered before I knew it, went to the ER I was given epinephrine and Benadryl, not allergic just as a precaution because of some many bites.

Well... You may want to re-think the "no effects" thing. The injection can cause many side effects. Rapid heart, dizziness, vomiting plus others. Not only that, if you have high blood pressure, or heart issues you could cause yourself some serious harm.

I thought I heard somewhere that a bee only has one stinger, and after they use it they die?

Honey bees can sting one time because of the barb on the stinger. It disembowels them when the try and pull away. It leaves the stinger and venom sack attached to the victim. Bumble bees can sting multiple times.

I've used the warm wet towel for ages but the Tee Shirt is a great idea. 30 yrs in the plastics industry and I've been using Novus products. Cleaner, protectant, and scratch remover. Great for the inside of helmet visors too. Most recently, I've discovered Zep ammonia free glass cleaner in the concentrate. Works really well and I like the smell too! There's another product I swear by and that's Purple Slice. It dissolves bugs instantly and you can use it on everything! Leather, plastics, paint, glass and chrome. It's "One Step Detailer" and I swear it's magic. The old timers at the car shows taught me about good old Lemon Pledge too.
Back in 1970 (I think) I had a Bumble Bee hit me right in the Aviator Sunglasses and not only broke a lens out but the impact was so hard my hands came off the handlebars. No Helmet, doing about 80mph. My wife wins for the biggest bug though. It was a turkey I spooked up ahead of her.
Kudos on purple slice...The parts guy sold me some and said you will get hooked on it especially after using it a coupla times. Best detailer I have ever used...period!

Back