free website stats program Does Harley Now Have A Cam Chain Tensioner Upgrade Kit? | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Does Harley Now Have A Cam Chain Tensioner Upgrade Kit?

I can't speak for exactly what parts Mr. affirmation errrrrr Chopper is making reference , but what's needed to upgrade the cam chain tensioners to hydraulic instead of just spring loaded is all in that Harley Davidson kit #25284-08 (bubee posted the kit # some time back). It's $429.95 at my Harley shop and they have it in stock. Having a moderate to severe wrenching disability I'm going to also pay the labor charge for my Harley dealer to install the kit. I plan on asking them for a quote tomorrow morning. Unless it's waaaaaay outrageous I'll just schedule an appointment to get it done, too.

Thanks for the picture, Josh. I'd be worried about the pits, too. I'm just hoping I don't get spooked by some other major system defect needing an expensive upgrade to the extent this cam chain tensioner upgrade has spooked me.

theres a bit more needed than just the kit some other small parts and bearings the word kit is a bit deceiving.. I would hope labor wont be to bad it wasnt really that hard to do

Charles, here's a link you can dowload the instructions and look at the kit, You will want to cut out the stock push rods and go back up with adjustables that way nothing has to come apart above the cam cover. So you will want adjustable push rods and I would also install new lifters while your in there, but whole set up gives you the new oil pump and system harley has and the hydraulic tensioners that will not were the pads near as fast. Look around the fourm and see what others have used. Be careful of the snow ball effect, while I'm in there.........performance cams?

Genuine Motor Accessories | Harley-Davidson USA

snowball it for cams you there :) thats how it went with my buddys 04 we did was lets do the kit then we got it apart and it was why dont you order me some cams to .. for sure get the adj pushrods

I went in and made an appointment to have the Harly Davidson hydro Cam Chain Tensioner kit installed. With tax, the kit and labor will be right under $800.00.

The service manager assured me that the HD kit includes everything needed and there won't be any extras to pay for.

All I want is the upgraded cam chain tensioner system. I never did want hotter cams, different push rods, different bearings, nor a different oil pump. I'm very happy with the way all that stuff works now and just want the new tensioners. Maybe some of you long-time forum members could point out that all those extra goodies you are mentioning just aren't absolutely necessary to get the tensioner upgrade. I'm having to gag at spending $800.00 for that and I'm thinking that what some of you are suggesting would run in the thousands of bucks. Maybe there are others like me who are convinced they do need the hydro upgrade but are not interested in or can't spring for the big bucks for all the hot rod parts.

Anyway, for what it's worth, I'll report back on my experiences and how the hydro kit works after I put several hundred miles on it (probably after this weekend).

Chopper, I know what you mean. Yeaaaah, I already have a stage one done. It's just that my Glide is running go very good and I don't want to take even a remote chance that it won't run as good after the Dealership mechanic works it over. I know that's just a phobia on my part and I need to get this upgrade done now. I'll report back after putting some miles on the upgrade, but I'm thinking anyone planning on buying a bike with the spring loaded cam chain tensioners should just go ahead and factor in the cost of the hydrolic upgrade to the price of the bike.

Yes and no, the shoes are a wear item and you have to keep up maintaince but there are lots & lots of bikes out there running just fine on the system you have. There are no recalls or even product campaigns out on it. Relax and enjoy what you have, it's a upgrade not a necessity, if I had the money & time to do it, I would, but if I had a phobia about my dealer, no way, phobia's usually come from feelings, trust it what ever it is.

I went in and made an appointment to have the Harly Davidson hydro Cam Chain Tensioner kit installed. With tax, the kit and labor will be right under $800.00.
The service manager assured me that the HD kit includes everything needed and there won't be any extras to pay for.
All I want is the upgraded cam chain tensioner system. I never did want hotter cams, different push rods, different bearings, nor a different oil pump. I'm very happy with the way all that stuff works now and just want the new tensioners. Maybe some of you long-time forum members could point out that all those extra goodies you are mentioning just aren't absolutely necessary to get the tensioner upgrade. I'm having to gag at spending $800.00 for that and I'm thinking that what some of you are suggesting would run in the thousands of bucks. Maybe there are others like me who are convinced they do need the hydro upgrade but are not interested in or can't spring for the big bucks for all the hot rod parts.
Anyway, for what it's worth, I'll report back on my experiences and how the hydro kit works after I put several hundred miles on it (probably after this weekend).

Congratulations on getting it done, have to say huh? The oil pump is part of the kit hybrid cam plate kit, as a service manager when I do a job in the cam compartment I discount the labor so the adjustable push rods are free to the customer and if miles are high on the bike I recommend new stock lifters that are not that much $$$ and also install them with out any additional labor cost. Forums are good becuse everyone puts their opinions on the table the way they do things and what they think is BEST, well best for one person is not always best for another, but you have the opportunity to to listen to everyone's, and then make the best decision for yourself.
Anyways congratulations and I'm sure you made the right decision for you and you bike will live long and prosper. :bigsmiley12:

Yeaaaaaaah Chopper I had a brain ummmmmm fault about the oil pump. I really wan't intending to seem critical, but going back and reading it it does look that way. I agree, I wish you were service manager at this shop maybe even If I didn't get any free stuff I might get a better break on the labor $.
This service manager was smooth. I told him I thought that was too much for labor and that I could get it done cheaper at Hog Wild or Outriders (local independent shops) and he said sure I probably could, but I'd be paying them just to do the job and that I'd be paying the Harley Dealer to do the job right. Pretty good line, there, huh? Sounded well rehearsed, too :p

You do know that if I shut down the motor and coasted down those beautiful mountains you once mentioned I probably wouldn't even need the upgrade. Ahhhhhhh, but then I'd hafta get back up to the tops of them somehow.

Here's a write-up about the kit. I'm probably just missing the "hybrid" mention in the write-ups for this kit. That's probably just a generic term meaning a marriage of the older spring loaded system with the new hydro tensioners, huh?
NEW SCREAMIN' EAGLE HYDRAULIC CAM CHAIN TENSIONER KIT
MILWAUKEE – Update the cam chain tensioner of an early-model Harley-Davidson Twin Cam engine to the latest Twin Cam 96 design with the new Screamin' Eagle Hydraulic Cam Chain Tensioner Plate Upgrade Kit (P/N 25284-08, $429.95) from Harley-Davidson Genuine Motor Accessories. The kit features a billet cam support plate designed to facilitate the installation of the late-model hydraulic cam chain tensionser to early Twin Cam-equipped models. These hydraulic cam chain tensioners will significantly outlast the original spring-loaded tensioners, and are an ideal addition to an engine modified for improved performance. In addition, 2002-2006 models feature the late-model, single-row front cam chain and sprockets (1999 - 2001 models use the existing front silent chain). The kit includes the improved late-model oil pump that increases flow by 8 percent and scavenging by 22 percent to enhance other performance upgrades.

Thanks for the "congrats". I actually do feel better already.

Congratulations on getting it done, have to say huh? The oil pump is part of the kit hybrid cam plate kit, as a service manager when I do a job in the cam compartment I discount the labor so the adjustable push rods are free to the customer and if miles are high on the bike I recommend new stock lifters that are not that much $$$ and also install them with out any additional labor cost. Forums are good becuse everyone puts their opinions on the table the way they do things and what they think is BEST, well best for one person is not always best for another, but you have the opportunity to to listen to everyone's, and then make the best decision for yourself.
Anyways congratulations and I'm sure you made the right decision for you and you bike will live long and prosper. :bigsmiley12:

Chopper:

What do you consider to be too high miles. I have 7k miles on mine and am planning this upgrade and wonder if I should be looking at lifters as well as the kit and pushrods. Thanks

Haywire

It's all good Rocket, you're alright, sounds like the service manager you have is a touch arrogant though, especially since most of the real good tech's have went to aftermarket shops because of the way Harley shops pay anymore, reputation keeps keeps the tech's busy, not bad mouthing the competition. My service director paid me a visit last spring and told me "if the customer doesn't complain about the price you're not charging enough", well I thought customers traveling 150 miles to my shop, sometimes passing his store was a sign that saving the customer what you could worked for me, plus all my tech's had bikes on their lifts and were busy. I think you'll be very happy with what you're having done, you're just lucky I wasn't the service manager or you would bought cams too:)

Fabrozor too bad there's 8000 kilometers between us, I'd buy you a beer.
:cheers

Haywire, I always replace lifters if the bike has over 5000 miles and I'm in the cam compartment, cheap insurance, I know the new lifters are going to pump up, their not that much money and if you have a comeback people never forget. If you're not changing cams you should be just fine with the lifters you have, it's you're bike & that's you're call, but you asked when I replace them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back