free website stats program Does Harley Now Have A Cam Chain Tensioner Upgrade Kit? | Harley Davidson Forums

Does Harley Now Have A Cam Chain Tensioner Upgrade Kit?

Rocket J.

After reading posts here I've become concerned about the condition of my cam chain tensioners in my '05 Electra Glide. I'm set to check them and rode in to get a new gasket for the cam cover. It was a slow day at the Harley shop and the parts guy had time to talk. I mentioned the high cost of an after market kit and he said that Harley has a hydrolic cam chain upgrade kit that is only a couple hundred dollars + labor. My ears perked right up and wanted to hear/see more. He couldn't find it in his books and the service section was closed today so I'm left hanging.

I have no doubt that I'm going to have a new roller chain hydraulic tensioner system installed instead of just replacing the present stock cam chain tensioners. The only question about upgrading them for me is when. If they still look good now I'll wait and check them again in 5,000 miles, or so.

I do have a question about if Harley has such a kit for sale. I'll check the wear/condition myself, but don't think I'll do the upgrade myself. It would be cool if Harley has such an upgrade kit and will install it without me sending off of an aftermarket kit. It would even be cooler if the "couple hundred dollars" + labor price he mentioned is correct.

Does anyone have any information about such a kit sold by Harley Davidson?

The worst part of the job is getting the front exhaust pipe off. If you don't feel comfortable doing the job leave the pipe off for the service tech. Plug the exhaust port with some paper. Might save you an hour labour.
kemo

Here is the SE version. Bit more than the 200+ you mentioned. Maybe a comparable HD kit (not SE).

Screamin' Eagle® Hydraulic Cam Chain Tensioner Plate Upgrade Kit, 25284-08, This kit updat

Check Zanotti's, Surdyke or Biker Bob's for better pricing.

The problem with this kit in my opinion, is that it uses the silent chain on the inside side rather than a roller chain like on the outside. Also assumes you are reusing the existing cams, but no reason you would have to.

I personally think there are better options out there than this. JMHO.

TQ

TQ

What are the better options you think are out there. I am curious because this is something I am going to have to look at down the road?? My 06 only has 7k on it.

Interested in what way you think a guy should be going.

IMHO, the best all around kit out there is put together by John Wadsworth (aka, Herko). Give him a call or drop him an email and have him send the parts list from his kit. Then price the stuff yourself from an HD supplier. I used John when I up-graded my bike to the roller-chain configuration. His kits are ALL inclusive. Everything you could think of. And he will get you the cams you want, adj. pushrods if you need them, and special tools too (from George's Garage).

Flying W Performance

TQ

This from the "valve train noise" posting in the touring section. This kit gets great reviews fromthe guy's here. drop him an email.

Bodeen

Last edited by a moderator:
**********************"SMART MOVE"*************
I have no doubt that I'm going to have a new roller chain hydraulic tensioner system installed instead of just replacing the present stock cam chain tensioners.

It would be cool if Harley has such an upgrade kit and will install it without me sending off of an aftermarket kit. It would even be cooler if the "couple hundred dollars" + labor price he mentioned is correct.

Does anyone have any information about such a kit sold by Harley Davidson?

********************YES I HAVE IT HERE************************

I would go with the FULL KIT HD# 25284-08 sells @ $429.95

This KIT gives you

ALL THE PARTS TO UP-DATE YOUR BIKE TO THE NEWER STYLE USED ON ALL THE NEW 07/2010 BIKES OF TODAY.......

***NEW BETTER OIL PUMP(more sump and pump volume) motor will last longer better oil flow, and sump oil return volume increased

***NEW SILENT CHAIN,,,,,, quiet not like the gear drives

***NEW CHAIN GEARS,,, for the silent smoother chain

***CAM SUPPORT PLATE/FOR NEW STYLE TENSIONERS,,, better oil flow where needed and to opperate the hyd. tensioners (safer n long lasting)

***CAM CHAIN HYDRAULIC TENSIONERS (2)

***CAM BEARING SUPPORT PLATE BRKT.

This is the HD KIT you need and like the SARG says.... don't wait, it won't save you anything to get a few more miles out of the OLD system but MAYBE GRIEF

I went another direction back in 01/02 on my 2000 FXDS and it cost me a bundle as NONE OF THESE PARTS were offered by HARLEY....
I paid the price of the KIT hd offers for 429$...400$ JUST ON A FEULING OIL PUMP N LIFTERS. THEN 300$+ FOR THE DELKRON CAM SUPPORT PLATE AND ANOTHER 800$ FOR GEARS AND CAMS...thats 1500$$$$ and MY LABOR free

THIS HD KIT is a LOT of PARTS for VERY LITTLE $$$$$$

i would of gone this way if the KIT was available back then.....

LISTED ON PAGE 493 IN THE ACCESSORIES CATOLOG

SIGNED....BUBBIE

TQ

What are the better options you think are out there. I am curious because this is something I am going to have to look at down the road?? My 06 only has 7k on it.

Interested in what way you think a guy should be going.

Here is all the stuff I used to do my conversion. Check out the Herko slide to see what all you get in his kit. I added a few options like cams, tools, etc. but his basic kit was $449 at the time. You will have to call him to see what his prices are now.

TQ's Conversion Project Parts

And here is a pictorial of the project:

TQ's Engine Build - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

Great info, thank you all, very much.
In a nutshell, I'm convinced that the stock cam chain tensioner system for my '05 Electra Glide has proven to be trouble prone in other Harleys and I'm going to have it upgraded. I am very satisfied with my present engine performance and don't want to add anything (like wilder cams). The Screaming Eagle kit..FULL KIT HD# 25284-08.. seems to be what I'm wanting. The upgraded oil pump in the kit seems like the way to go, too. I'm also thinking that, with labor cost, installation of this kit will be close to $1,000.00.

I understand the comments to get this done immediately and I agree with the reason for not waiting, but $1,000.00 is a very large chunk of change to drop on something that only has the potential to be a problem. So far I haven't had any indication that my tensioners are a present problem. I really need to cut down that allen wrench, remove the cover and look at the condition of those tensioners. If they're scored/knicked/worn down then I'll feel good about dropping the $ on the upgrade. If they look great then I'll keep a closer eye on them and have the upgrade done when I think it's time to replace them anyway.

Again thanks to all for the excellent information. I'd read the posts about the aftermarket kits, but didn't realize Harley (SE) had a kit like that, too.

Thanks for the info TQ
I had read through your build before so was aware of the Herko site. Thanks again.

Here is all the stuff I used to do my conversion. Check out the Herko slide to see what all you get in his kit. I added a few options like cams, tools, etc. but his basic kit was $449 at the time. You will have to call him to see what his prices are now.

TQ's Conversion Project Parts

And here is a pictorial of the project:

TQ's Engine Build - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

Back