free website stats program Does Harley Now Have A Cam Chain Tensioner Upgrade Kit? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Does Harley Now Have A Cam Chain Tensioner Upgrade Kit?

Welcome aboard, Jonas. Not that I'm an Old Salt here, myself :p

That special price of kit and labor for less that $600.00 really IS a special. Should I see that in my local area it would be difficult to pass it up no matter if I think it's presently needed or not.

If you have the time and inclination to share a bit more info about your gear drive I'm really interested; kit? , do it yourself or shop?, cost?

I appreciate the advice about my waiting and maybe wanting to upgrade after more time to think about it. Perhaps. I know I would were I in my 20s but I'm getting older and more sedate (61) and at this stage in life mostly want a smooth, well running bike with some longevity. The present power and speed of the bike keep me white knuckled enough as it is.

Yeaaaaah, old school gear drive would eliminate lots of problems, but in reading posts on this forum can present other problems, too.

Rocket thanks for the welcome. Are you retired Marine? Jackonville is my old stomping grounds. I was there on and off for six years. My first wife is from there. Marine Corp 82 - 88

I love the gear drive.(You have to have someone that knows how to install them put them in). Also you crank runout has to be less then .003". I went that route because it was proven. If I did it again, I might go with the HD Upgrade. But I have no complaints with the way I went.

I had Andrews 26 cams installed at the same time, plus dyno tuned. My bike is a 04 RoadKing 88". Stage 1 with Wild Pig slip on's 2" baffle. Nothing special. With the cam and dyno tune. I went from 65hp 65tq (about) to 82HP 92tq. All from the cams and tune. A big benefit was the bike runs alot cooler and is more fuel efficent. The 26 cam is not wild, it is what would be in the bike if not for EPA.

I had to buy the TTS Module for the dyno tune, plus dyno time, new timken bearings and tune. The gear drives took longer then quoted to put in. But I would rather have them right(no noise). It was around 2200.00. Lot more then just the HD upgrade. But it is like riding a different bike.

If you chose to go gears you cannot use your existing cams. I think the HD kit is a great deal with the new oil pump and all.

Good Luck

Jonas,
Yes, retired from active duty right out of Camp Lejeune in '92. I've been here since '87, kids grew up and settled here, so just stayed here. Hey, no State tax on my USMC retirement $ and fairly decent riding weather; life is sweet here.

Wow! what a sweet setup n your Road King. Yeaaaaaah, I'll most likely fo with the HD upgrade. My '05 is stock except for SE slip-ons, SE AC, and a stage 1 download. Not that I wouldn't fully appreciate the work you've had done. more fuel efficient is cool, too. I never really understood why my old shovel with that old carb would get 55 mpg and my fuel injected TC is lucky to get 45. I think that HD upgrade is a good deal, too.
If you hear of that special for $600.00 upgrade job again, in Monroe, please let me know and I'll try to use the info for leverage to get my shop to match the price.

Rocket

I always liked Jackonville. Good times there.

I will let you know if I hear of a dealer up this way offering the special. I know you can get the kit for just over 400.00(maybe 425.00). I'm surprised they charge 400 bucks to put it in.(well not really):(

The old shovel versus the new bike. The ease of just hitting the button and the bike firing right up is worth the 10mpg difference. IMHO

Semper Fi

I had a nice ol' '66 XLCH that was a kicker only and it kicked me as much as I did it. My knee was always sore. I also had a 70's Super Glide that had both starters, but the electric one was never a sure thing. Yeaaaaaah, you speak the truth about newer bikes being worth maybe a bit less MPG. Man, I'm learning they even have cigarette lighters, cruise control, and cup holders on them now, too.

I've decided to go ahead with the '07 upgrade right away (well early next month). It would probably be fine to run the spring loaded ones for the time being, but these guys are right; it's just not worth taking the gamble of major engine damage if they do nuke, to wait. I know I'm going to get it done sooner or later anyway, so I'll just suck it up and get it done now.

I am trying to find some info as far as upgrading to Hydraulic tensioners, if you find any info would you let me know?

I had a nice ol' '66 XLCH that was a kicker only and it kicked me as much as I did it. My knee was always sore. I also had a 70's Super Glide that had both starters, but the electric one was never a sure thing. Yeaaaaaah, you speak the truth about newer bikes being worth maybe a bit less MPG. Man, I'm learning they even have cigarette lighters, cruise control, and cup holders on them now, too.

I've decided to go ahead with the '07 upgrade right away (well early next month). It would probably be fine to run the spring loaded ones for the time being, but these guys are right; it's just not worth taking the gamble of major engine damage if they do nuke, to wait. I know I'm going to get it done sooner or later anyway, so I'll just suck it up and get it done now.

Better safe then sorry. Especially without a warranty. I have heard of them going at 10K.

Well, I sold my other bike (not a Harley) today and have the $ for the HD hydrolic cam chain tensioner kit (HD#25284-08). The kit is $429.95 and I'm going in to make my best pitch as to why the Dealership should give me some kinda special Winter rate for the labor involved. If I can get it out the door for $625.00 I'll be a happy dude. I still have a bit of hesitation about getting this upgrade because (like most here) I was taught that if it wasn't broken don't fix it. The present spring loaded tensioners aren't bad yet, but because of reading about the experiences here I feel the need to get the upgrade the sooner the better.

Nothing wrong with improving a good thing, you upgrade your engine with intake, ex. why not the oil system?

Back