free website stats program Dobeck - New Tuner - wide band O2s and AFR gauge | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Dobeck - New Tuner - wide band O2s and AFR gauge

OK after more clicking , looking and reading I have managed to answer my own question in that what I want to do is improve the stock motor at this time, so the Gen3 and the improved Gen4 is not what I need. I am Looking for a tuner and have read a lot of the post's on the fuelpak and the TFI. Remembering that you are answering a first time Harley owner and my technical understanding of the motor and its componets is limited with the fuelpak and the TFI installing differently one plugging into the ECM and the other into the injectors do they operate the same ?Can I truly based on limited experience adjust the TFI correctly as apposed to punching in the codes from the set up that best matches what I am doing ? Thanks Tim

MY Opinion:

The TFI is EASY to install and use... ONCE in and SET to the SUGGESTED settings IT WILL run good.... The Only adjustment needed IS turning on POT ONE with a screw driver to FINE tune the Idle fuel.. Like tuning in a idle screw on a Carburetor.. IN and Out a little to Listen to the stop place need to smooth out the Fast Idle (aprox. 2000 RPM) This adjustment will be CLOSE to the suggested setting,,, One way or the other....

I do this adjustment,,,ONLY on Pot One,,, starting on #1 position (off) and turing adjustment Out while bike is run at 2000 rpm (aprox) I tape the throttle to hold it at fast idle.... You can Hear when Too Much fuel is there, motor will stumble,,,,Go back IN with adjustment, when it smoooooths out,,,, that is where I leave it.

The other 3 pots I have LEFT where they are suggested to work....NO tuning/turning is needed there for me.

EASY and made tougher than it sounds to make this adjustment...

Once set , the bike is ready to ride... Further adjustments are not needed UNless you change a Major add on like different Exhaust, then another adjustment of the Green POT 1 should be made IF it is noticed the idle has changed and is not smooth like it was before..

Now that is the JEST of it. Maybe not the way Dobecks would tell it but My way...

Man does My Bike run great.

signed....BUBBIE

Tim

IMO the TFI is the way to go. There is no punching in codes or mapping and it does connect to the injector plugs. It's a very easy install and I have used many of them on different bikes and they never come up short. Unlike other tuners that you need maps or downloads for, the TFI is adjusted with a small screwdriver on most models except the brand new ones. They come with recommended settings for your bike and it's as easy as just turning the pot settings much like a screw to the recommended settings and you go ride.

TFIpotsettings.jpg

Glider in the table that you attached I had saw before on the TFI websight brings me to another question, what is meant by "Download"? in there different sections /boxes of the Table.

Glider in the table that you attached I had saw before on the TFI websight brings me to another question, what is meant by "Download"? in there different sections /boxes of the Table.

A download in this instance refers to stage 1 map installed by the HD dealer which will increase the rev limiter and give you a wee bit more fuel at some revs
So when tfi is set you need to set based on which map is in the ecu stock or stage 1

Brian

Mark came back down and installed another beta GEN 4 on a 09 FLHX that all ready had a super tuner w/stage 1 on it, the owner of the bike said it felt stronger and did perform better after the install, been raining all week so haven't got any more input from the owner.
Here's a few more pic's.

Me & Mark Dobeck
MeMarkDolbeckCEOofDolbeckPerformance.jpg

Mark installing a GEN 4 on a 09 FLHX that all ready had a stage 1 with a super tuner
MarkinstallingaGEN4ona09FLHXthatallreadyhadastage1withasupertuner.jpg

The new Beta GEN 4
ThenewbetaGEN4.jpg

Mark Dobeck, CEO of Dobeck Performance
MarkDolbeckCEOofDolbeckPerformance.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the update Chop and for posting the pics too.:s

I hope the new unit works out well, Dobeck is a great company to deal with.

Dallas,

Are there any up-dates on the new product, Gen4.. Many waiting to hear and try.

signed....BUBBIE

Currently experiencing a problem with the microprocessor on the board. We are trying to work with the chip manufacturer, but are not receiving much attention. Testing some work-around solutions in-house right now which we are only 95% satisfied with. When we finally are completely satisfied with the product you can believe I'll be flooding everyone with information.

Dallas

Currently experiencing a problem with the microprocessor on the board. We are trying to work with the chip manufacturer, but are not receiving much attention. Testing some work-around solutions in-house right now which we are only 95% satisfied with. When we finally are completely satisfied with the product you can believe I'll be flooding everyone with information.

Dallas

Once again I give Dobeck Performance two thumbs up for not releasing a product to consumers before it’s 110%. Reputation is everything!

Mark rolled into Pocatello Idaho in his bus pulling his state of the art Dyno behind him at the POW/MIA Rally today so he could show and explain what his new GEN 4 tuner does and how it works with the Harley ECM in & out of close loop to our three test pilots after he install the new program he wrote for the system. Nothing like being able to stand next to the bike while it's rolling down the road with someone like Mark explaining everything it's doing and why. I rode one of the bikes home and plan on putting a few miles on it tomorrow after I swap Mark's bike over to Mobil 1 V-Twin 20/50 with some Spectro 6 Speed fluid in his trans. lol. But this post is about tuning and not oil, so about the new GEN 4, I am so impressed with the unit I want to sell them out of my shop. With this tuner there is no need for a dyno because you have the gauge so you can see what's happening in real time and the programming in the unit utilizes the Harley ECM for some changes like closed loop as well as front and rear cylinder changes in fuel settings. I have seen the improvement it made on a local bike that had a SERT already installed and was dyno tuned at a local dealership. The load base tuning technology this unit uses works, I wish I had a better understanding how it works, but as time goes by I am learning and it does make sense, just don't ask me to explain it all quite yet. I don't think there should be a trike or a Ultra pulling a trailer out there without a GEN 4 on it, it can help the fuel mileage as well as performance & roadabillity. Mark told me maybe a week and it should be on the market. Don't quote me please because I'm just trying to share everything I've seen and heard with my brothers on this forum, all these comments I've posted are mine and not Dobeck Performance's, I try to be as accurate as possible but my information is second hand.
Mark Dobeck's Bus Pulling his Dyno
MarkDolbecksBusPullinghisDyno.jpg

Mark's state of the art Dyno
MarkDolbecksDynoatPOWMIARally.jpg

Back