free website stats program Do you warm it up? | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Do you warm it up?

B-1B I already stopped at the dealer. They insist just a re-torque will take care of it (I highly doubt that) and to make an appointment to bring it in. They say it's not a weep but a seep (whatever the differnce is I don't know). They're all booked up for a couple of weeks right now. I've had so much trouble with this dealer but they did the job and we'll just see. It's under warantee (103 stage 2 was part of the original deal). So I'm sure eventually after going through ALL their hoops it will get fixed.

Merged posts

I always let my bikes warm up. My 09 Ultra's no different. I wait at least until the fast idle comes down to normal idle speed. Usually 3 to 5 mins. .

Yours high-idles that long? Mine only does for maybe 10-15 seconds.

B-1B I already stopped at the dealer. They insist just a re-torque will take care of it (I highly doubt that) and to make an appointment to bring it in. They say it's not a weep but a seep (whatever the differnce is I don't know). They're all booked up for a couple of weeks right now. I've had so much trouble with this dealer but they did the job and we'll just see. It's under warantee (103 stage 2 was part of the original deal). So I'm sure eventually after going through ALL their hoops it will get fixed.

Tell 'em you're going to drop it off now and get a loaner until they can get to it.
I bet that'll build a little fire under 'em!

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually I've never timed it. But it seems to me it will idle at 13-1400 rpm for 30 seconds or so and slowly drop to 950-1000 in the next couple of minutes. So they give you loaners at your dealer? Never saw anything in the warrantee that says loaners are part of the warrantee process. Don't think my dealer does but I might ask.

Actually I've never timed it. But it seems to me it will idle at 13-1400 rpm for 30 seconds or so and slowly drop to 950-1000 in the next couple of minutes. So they give you loaners at your dealer? Never saw anything in the warrantee that says loaners are part of the warrantee process. Don't think my dealer does but I might ask.

Don't ask. Tell them thats what you want to do. If you ask for a loaner, they'll tell you they don't do that. Trust me they do. If you have to, talk to the service manager. Play hardball. You paid big money for your bike and you don't want to get messed around by them. I'll bet they will mysteriously come up with an "opening" for your bike. But don't be afraid to tell them you want a loaner if it's going to take more than a day or so.:devil

Thanks all. BTW I did time the idle down time and it does take about 4 mins to idle down all the way to normal idle. I suppose the outside temprature has a lot to do with it.

Just for curiosity, when you shut down your bike, do you use the kill switch, then shut off the ignition? I seem to recall that the TSSM/ECM needs those few seconds to download final status before you shutdown. If you "goose" the throttle or do other unusual things, that info is stored as well, however incorrect it may be, so when you fire the bike up it may idle very fast or start off where it "left off."

Last edited:
I usually just stop. Let it idle for a few seconds than use the kill switch. I don't ever just rev the engine, even at stop lights. At least not since my shovel days.

Just for curiosity, when you shut down your bike, do you use the kill switch, then shut off the ignition? I seem to recall that the TSSM/ECM needs those few seconds to download final status before you shutdown. If you "goose" the throttle or do other unusual things, that info is stored ad well, however incorrect it may be, so when you fire the bike up it may idle very fast or start off where it "left off."

I never shut mine down with the run/stop switch. I just use the ignition switch. When I bought the bike thats what the mechanic told me to do. When I asked why he told me that if you use the run/stop and it's running faster than Idle speed, it will "start where it left off". I don't know if thats true or not because I have had a "high-idle" situation on start up a few times and as I said I don't use the run/stop.

Back