free website stats program Do you warm it up? | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Do you warm it up?

I start it and immediately take off but ride slow for the first couple of miles.
This is what I originally meant...I let the bike warm up....just under a slight load...)(my fat rear-end)...and ease 20- 30 mph..(I live in the country) for the first few miles before I "twist it".... as somebody stated!
I just don't see that much of a difference in warming up under a slight load and it setting idle........I may be wrong ...that why I asked.

I let mine warm up 2-3 minutes or so before taking off, it is a habit I've always had with My Vehicles, even My Lawnmower! :lolrolling

When it's really cold out, I usually idle my scoot 'til the oil is up over 150. This morning when I left for work it was 37 F so I let her idle for about 10 mins before making the 30 mile trek. Oil temp never got over 200, I probably should have let her idle longer.

If it's hot out, I just get on and GO.

I fire it up, wait for the oil pressure guage to show stable pressure and then gently take off. I'll wait for a mile or 2 before I reef on it. And by reef on it I mean above 2500 rpm.

I always let my bikes warm up. My 09 Ultra's no different. I wait at least until the fast idle comes down to normal idle speed. Usually 3 to 5 mins. There's nothing but hills around where I live so it's almost impossible to really baby the engine when I leave home, although I do try to keep it between 2400-2800 rpm until fully warmed up. Always has worked in the past except now my base gaskets are weeping after the 103 stage 2 was installed. So I don't know whether too much warm up, too little warm-up or bad harley mechanic messed up stage 2 torque or maybe pinched o-rings. It's both cylinders so makes me think mechanic messed this one up. Going in soon for repairs.

Hoggy,

I'd be at the dealer right now. It didn't leak before the 103 upgrade, why would it now? I'm sure they'll do the right thing.

I try to let it idle for about 30 secs before moving the bike into first gear. Can't hurt to let it warm up a bit.

Back