free website stats program Do you warm it up? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Do you warm it up?

Just wondering your opinions on engine warm up. I usually start mine up.... ease down the road for the first few miles ....then "Let Er Rip".....how about you?

I do not "warm up" the Ultra in a fashion like I do for my Dyna (EVO). It runs for about a min. or so while I am backing it out of the garage and getting ready to head out. But I ride it fairly tamely for a few miles until the oil temp gauge (haven't done that yet? replace that silly air temp gauge with one that is useful - oil temp gauge!!) starts to lift a bit. Then I ride it normally (still pretty tame).

TQ

On my '02 Sporty, I let it warm up as it had a carb. On my RG, I let it idle for 2-3 minutes or so as I check my blinkers, f/r brake lights, high/low beam, etc... Then I'm off.

Always warm it up, runs better if I do. I do the lights/tire checks while it warms up, then put on the riding gear. Then wait for the wife to get ready, that always insures a good warm up! (hope she doesn't see this!!)

As stated always a good idea to let any engine warm up a little first to get the oil moving. The colder the temp. is the longer to let it idle.

I ride my bike to work almost every day and leave my house at 6am. If I even thought bout warming up........I'd have someone calling the cops. I start it and slow roll out to the main street, by then I figure it's ok to give her a little throttle. On my Carburated 02 Harley suggested touching the Headpan, if it was hot, let her rip but I don't remember seeing or hearing any suggestions for my 09.

On the new bikes, with their modern fuel injection systems, they warm up pretty quickly to the touch. However, it will take a good 5-10 minutes of steady riding, or even longer in cold weather for all the other circulating parts throughout the engine/transmission/clutch to warm up to operating temperature. I always give it about 10-15 minutes before I stand on it hard. But hey, I am old and fearful of the unknown.

always warm mine up , cold starts are the only thing to kill an engine,at least long enough for the oil to warm up a bit then ,, hit the road runnin

Back