free website stats program Do you lock..... | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Do you lock.....

I lock the ignition switch. I don't have a fork lock per-say.....unless I use a pad lock in the locking "tabs".

Away from the house always locked. At a motel it's outside the window on the sidewalk, sleep with the curtains open (if 1st floor room not avail, I go down the road).
At home in the garage forks locked keys & fob well hidden. I like the fob close by so the lights don't flash every time I touch the '07. It never occured to me until I wrote the last sentence, that anyone that knows squat about H.D.'s would know the keys and fob were within 6 feet of the bike, because the 'silent alarm' didn't activate!! Keys will now be kept in the house.

Here's a question that just came to mind. If my fob is near my bike in the garage, and I start up and ride off leaving the fob, the bike will run fine until I shut it off, right? Then I am in trouble correct? Yea, I know there is a overide procedure, I hope my wallet with the procedure is in my pocket!

I have insurance. If my bike gets stolen I'll get a new one. :D

I always lock the forks and take my fob - the siren activates if someone messes with my ride however, it doesn't help if you can't hear the siren when you're in a building. Hubby has the pager system so if he is in a building he gets notified if someone is messing around with the bike. Unfortunately, we were on vacation in Harrison Hot Springs and the pager battery ran out (he didn't have a spare and no place in this little town had one) and the bike was vandalized. It figures...

No I don't but then again I live way out in the country so I don't have to worry as much about someone taking the bike.

I always Lock my bike...even in the garage. No need to make it easy for someone to take it. If they want my bike, they are going to have to work for it.:wall

I guess it really depends on where you live and where you ride. I am more likely to leave it unsecured in a remote area as long as I am near-by. In a more congested area like a city I would even lock it if I were just a few feet away.

Bottom line is - your bike, your choice, your loss if stolen.:s

Away from the house always locked. At a motel it's outside the window on the sidewalk, sleep with the curtains open (if 1st floor room not avail, I go down the road).
At home in the garage forks locked keys & fob well hidden. I like the fob close by so the lights don't flash every time I touch the '07. It never occured to me until I wrote the last sentence, that anyone that knows squat about H.D.'s would know the keys and fob were within 6 feet of the bike, because the 'silent alarm' didn't activate!! Keys will now be kept in the house.

Here's a question that just came to mind. If my fob is near my bike in the garage, and I start up and ride off leaving the fob, the bike will run fine until I shut it off, right? Then I am in trouble correct? Yea, I know there is a overide procedure, I hope my wallet with the procedure is in my pocket!

In response to your question, the answer is yes. The bike runs just fine until you turn it off. Then it won't start. Even worse, the lights will flash. Worse still, if you have the audible alarm installed it goes off and embarrasses you in front of all your friends. Been there, done this. Now I make a point to always, always, always put the fob in my pocket before starting the bike.

After having one bike stolen from a parking garage, yes it was locked, both bikes have security systems with proximity sensors and a pager I carry that signals me. Havn't found one yet that tells me how many rounds I need to load, so the clip stays full. Saw a video in Daytona years back that shows three guys and a pickup take a full dresser in 12 seconds. Always lock and if possible cable lock two bikes together or to something immovable.

Back