free website stats program Do it yourself service | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Do it yourself service

The o-rings on the drain plugs. I do have the #27 torx and bought both torque wrenches, in/lb and ft/lb last week. Thanks.

Yeah, definitely change those orings on the drain plugs. But you can get those at the auto parts place. Buy half a dozen or so for each size plug.

TQ

TQ, CatWoman,

Thanks for the encouragment. My biggest downfall is my lack of confidence but I'm working through that. On the 1000 mile service other than changing the fluids it looks like to me the biggest thing is adjusting the clutch pack and cable, that's where I get a little nervous but I think I will give it a shot. I have seen the video and read the "how to" at least a half a dozen times it really doesn't look to difficult just want to get it right. By the way does anyone know what the size of allen wrench that is for the clutch pack? I want to get a t-handle before I tear into it. One more question... do I really have to replace the o-rings on the derby cover and plugs every time I open them up or just if they look worn and how do you tell?

I was in the same boat with my first service, lack of confidence. But every journey starts with the first step (and with the help of this site).
If you don't have the proper snap ring plier to remove the small clip from the pin that holds the brake or clutch levers, try putting some fishing line through the holes in the clips and pulling apart. This way your clip won't go flying off somewhere never to be seen again since it will be held in your hands by the fishing line.
As for the o-rings, look closely for any signs of scratches, cracking or small tears. It doesn't hurt to have a spare derby cover seal and half dozen spare o-rings for the drainplugs on hand just in case.

With the information from this site I just repaired my rear tire, changed all fluids, adjusted clutch all for under $250. I even bought a motocycle/atv jack. It's amazing what you can learn from people that really seem to care about what it takes to get it done and done right. Thanks again:D:D

After you change the oil the rest is really pretty basic and the manual does a pretty good job of explaining and showing you what needs to be done.

I'm in VA or I'd help you out, I do 3 or 4 services each month for friends for the very reason you started this post.

There are enough of us on this forum that can help you if you have any questions on any of the steps.

" By the way does anyone know what the size of allen wrench that is for the clutch pack? I want to get a t-handle before I tear into it."

The clutch pack uses a 1/4" allen, lock nut is 11/16".
For the locknut I'd picked up a socket set from Sears that has a pass through design to fit over bolts with long shanks so I can put the allen wrench through while tightening the lock nut.

Yeah, definitely change those orings on the drain plugs. But you can get those at the auto parts place. Buy half a dozen or so for each size plug.

TQ
I bought these 013 Red Silicone O-Ring 70A Duro, 7/16 Width - SmallParts.com after shipping I think it was 15 bucks, but you get 100 and they are awesome O rings. I have reused them before because they always look bran new when I pull the drain plugs, but most the time I change them because I have so many.

I'm in VA or I'd help you out, I do 3 or 4 services each month for friends for the very reason you started this post.

Sounds like it would be a nice ride to get there.:D

With the information from this site I just repaired my rear tire, changed all fluids, adjusted clutch all for under $250. I even bought a motocycle/atv jack. It's amazing what you can learn from people that really seem to care about what it takes to get it done and done right. Thanks again:D:D

I've learned alot also.:) If you don't mind me asking, what kind of repair did you do to the rear tire?

Thanks

I had to do a valve stem replacement. I was checking air pressures and noticed the stem was leaking. We were getting ready for a weekend ride when I noticed it. Anyway I went up to the local auto repair shop purchased a stem $2, I followed the repair manual and 1 hr. later was ready to go. Like I have said the information here is great.:)

Back