free website stats program Do it yourself service | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Do it yourself service

I just had my 5k done Friday at the dealer. They charged me $275 as I supplied the oils. 4 qt of Mobil 1 V Twin, 1 qt of Redline tranny fluid with shockproof, and 1 qt of Formula + (about $65 worth of oils). I agree with Glider and change the oils myself at ~ 3K between dealer changes. Pretty cheap insurance. If anything goes weird with my bike I don't want to hassle the dealer saying I didn't do the proper service at the correct intervals. Also, it gives me a chance to work with the guys that would work on my bike for major warranty issues and I like having a dealer close to home so I don't want them to go out of business.

But changing your own oils couldn't be easier if you have the manual, the correct tools and pretty good mechanical abilities. I do not recommend doing this yourself if you can't (or don't) change the oil in your car. You can goof up the threads on the drain plugs if you are not careful. NO CHANNEL LOCK PLIERS!!!!

Years ago when I was looking for a used HD, I saw so many bikes with galled up fittings on the oil fittings and cables it made me crazy. If you don't know how to use tools, hire someone who does or at least ask them to help you until you learn to do it yourself.

I've had more threads (oil, trans) drain plugs messed up by dealer mechanics when I 1st bought my old FXDWG in 1996 that I care to comment on. Stopped taking my than bike to them as soon as the warrantee was up. One of the reasons I don't trust even certified Harley mechanics. They are either in a rush or pushed to get the job done that they sometimes do a less than minimal job. I'm kind of in that delema now as I am relying on them once again so there's no question if something goes wrong. Again I'll either stop taking it to them when the warrantee is up or sell it and buy new once again. I too do in-between changes myself and double check what the stealership has done.

Folks,

Seems to be a lot of chatter and concern about warranty issues on here and that is why folks feel compelled to spend $60-95/hr. to let some kid fresh out of MMI or similar do OJT on your pride and joy! OK, that may be a bit unfair, because there are a bunch of wrenches out there that really do care about doing a good job on the bikes they work on. But there is no guarantee that you will get that guy or girl. (Think I'm bias, check it out: HD Service Error - Harley Davidson Community)

But YOU have a vested interest in how the work is done on your bike. You will NOT be assembling and launching the Shuttle. It is a simple two cylinder four stroke engine with a couple of different fuel system configurations available, and with a simple manual transmission.

So get the book (HD Factory Service Manual only for your model and year) and some basic tools from Sears or somewhere, and start at step one. Study the recommended maintenance schedule in the Owners Manual, and use those times or distances as the MAXIMUM intervals between each procedure repeating. Adjust down from there based on the conditions you ride in.

Keep track of what you do when in a simple log. Stash the receipts for everything you buy for the bike in file folder call "Receipts for (insert year and model)". Save this stuff and the log so you can give it to the lucky person that buys your bike one day.

If you get stuck on ANYTHING, ask. We had a guy here the other day that was embarrassed about asking how to fill his gas tank correctly. Our feeling here is that the only stupid question is the one NOT asked. We have all filled the tank for the first time ourselves, and some of us have learned the hard way, so why should you?

Relax. You can do it. If you keep the records mentioned above, you can prove that you did it. They will have to prove that you didn't!!

TQ

Last edited:
Definately the manual will be helpful and if you are mechanically inclined you should have no problems with it and this site. I have an 1989 FLHTCU that I am currently rebuilding both the top and bottom ends. I fortunately have experience with rebuilding lots of car motors and have a garage owner willing to offer a helpful hand -- but the manual has proven to be worth more than it cost. By the way, I should say I am trained as a veterinarian and I DO get my hands clean inorder to do surgery in between the wrench sessions -- my probable true calling. Besides the manual, this site, I think all you need is a bit of confidence. There is not too terribly much difference between bikes and autos (cages), but I must admit, I don't really use air impact wrenchs on my bike.

TQ, CatWoman,

Thanks for the encouragment. My biggest downfall is my lack of confidence but I'm working through that. On the 1000 mile service other than changing the fluids it looks like to me the biggest thing is adjusting the clutch pack and cable, that's where I get a little nervous but I think I will give it a shot. I have seen the video and read the "how to" at least a half a dozen times it really doesn't look to difficult just want to get it right. By the way does anyone know what the size of allen wrench that is for the clutch pack? I want to get a t-handle before I tear into it. One more question... do I really have to replace the o-rings on the derby cover and plugs every time I open them up or just if they look worn and how do you tell?

TQ, CatWoman,

Thanks for the encouragment. My biggest downfall is my lack of confidence but I'm working through that. On the 1000 mile service other than changing the fluids it looks like to me the biggest thing is adjusting the clutch pack and cable, that's where I get a little nervous but I think I will give it a shot. I have seen the video and read the "how to" at least a half a dozen times it really doesn't look to difficult just want to get it right. By the way does anyone know what the size of allen wrench that is for the clutch pack? I want to get a t-handle before I tear into it. One more question... do I really have to replace the o-rings on the derby cover and plugs every time I open them up or just if they look worn and how do you tell?

You can probably reuse the derby cover gasket (Quad seal) or o-ring, but get another one just to have. If the one you used leaks, you will have one to replace it with. That always happens on a Sunday. O-rings on what plug?

Can't remember off the top of my head the size of the Allen wrench. Just poke a few in until you have the right one and take that to the store with you. You also want to get an offset box end wrench. Something that looks like these in the right size:

5 stars - MySears Community

And remember, the Torx end for those "starry" shaped screws holding the derby cover is a #27, NOT #25. Get the right one.

TQ

Last edited:
along with all these great suggestions, find a decent jack or if you can afford a lift, you'll never regret that purchase. getting the bike off the ground sometimes can be what makes the job a lot less difficult.:s

This is the premier place to learn. Like others have said, you should be doing all the small maintenance on your bike yourself. Oil and fluid changes are the easiest and most common. Do yourself a favor and buy a shop manual for your bike at the Harley shop. It will be the best $60.00 you ever spend. Between your owner manual and the shop manual, you will find most of your answers addressed. Then, when and if you run into something you are not sure about, post it here and you will be offered some of the best help available. If there ever were a Harly Learning Center, this is it. And...the price is right.

I change the primary every time the motor oil is changed (3000 miles). Simply because as the clutch plates wear there is a lot of contaimanation of the primary oil. It always looks really dirty. And oil is cheap parts are not. Besides that you should be adjusting that clucth every time you service your bike, so your opening the primary derby cover anyway.

+1 I do the same.

along with all these great suggestions, find a decent jack or if you can afford a lift, you'll never regret that purchase. getting the bike off the ground sometimes can be what makes the job a lot less difficult.:s

The jack is on my list of things to get just waiting for a few pay checks. Until then a friend of mine has a lift.

You can probably reuse the derby cover gasket (Quad seal) or o-ring, but get another one just to have. If the one you used leaks, you will have one to replace it with. That always happens on a Sunday. O-rings on what plug?

Can't remember off the top of my head the size of the Allen wrench. Just poke a few in until you have the right one and take that to the store with you. You also want to get an offset box end wrench. Something that looks like these in the right size:

5 stars - MySears Community

And remember, the Torx end for those "starry" shaped screws holding the derby cover is a #27, NOT #25. Get the right one.

TQ

The o-rings on the drain plugs. I do have the #27 torx and bought both torque wrenches, in/lb and ft/lb last week. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back