free website stats program Do-it-yourself headset for Ultra Classic | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Do-it-yourself headset for Ultra Classic

Quick clarification please, is the pin out shown of the connector on the bike the back of the connector or looking at the connector from the front, don't want to hook it up backward?

Ok the set up works but the microphone seems to have no sensitivity. I can get it to work but even with the PTT button I have to almost scream into the mic to get the passenger to hear me. Any ideas why. Just seems like the microphone dose to good a job of canceling noise?

Last edited by a moderator:
Switch your mic wires, the first post is incorrect on the wiring diagram, I build the adapter, pictured earlier, that you plug in the standard 1/8" plugs of a headset. The second pin down from the right looking from the rear (solder end) is the common mic, and the third is + mic, next is common speaker then left + and finally right +

Hope this helps

Switch your mic wires, the first post is incorrect on the wiring diagram, I build the adapter, pictured earlier, that you plug in the standard 1/8" plugs of a headset. The second pin down from the right looking from the rear (solder end) is the common mic, and the third is + mic, next is common speaker then left + and finally right +

Hope this helps

I know this post is from last year, but this is exactly what I was looking for. I built an adapter rather than cutting up the headphones, since that would let me use any set i like. The only problem is I can't get the mic to work. I've tried both suggested configurations (along with a few others), to no avail. The speakers however work GREAT! Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Specifically, I'm not sure how to wire the stereo 1/8" jack with just two wires. Some configurations give me clicking or feedback (ouch!), but none give me a working mic.

If it matters I'm tinkering with a 1994 FLTCU. Thanks for any help or insight!

I got this great little connector off EBay from a guy who makes them for plugging in a set of standard earbuds to the Harley sound system. I carry it in my windshield bag in case someone wants to use their IPod earbuds to listen to the radio and I want to listen to...well, NOTHING.
<bold> WARNING: Use by the passenger with speakers off can result in embarrassingly-loud off-key singing from the rear seat which can overpower a set of Santee 1-3/4" drag pipes and cause some interesting looks at stop lights! </bold>

Works great with a ½-helmet too.

There was also one on there that you could use a standard computer (2-plug) microphone/headset.

2190d1235182421-helmet_headsets-110348038166_1_1_1.jpg
jimharvy1: How do I find that plug on Ebay?

I built a pair of headsets and found that the wires for pins 1 and 4 needed swapped. I ended up buying a shop manual and found the correct polarity from the electrical schematic.

Back