free website stats program Do-it-yourself headset for Ultra Classic | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Do-it-yourself headset for Ultra Classic

Sorry...I have to finish a second pair for the wifes helmet before I can actually road test the headsets. We went out for real nice cruide today so I have yet to make the second pair.

I will get the second pair built tthis week and provide everyone an update by the end of the week.

You can use my instructions for wiring up any pair of noise cancelling headsetsets that you might want to use to Ultra.

:)

The sound can be sdirected through the headsets if you like by toggling the speaker button on the console. it will be pretty hard to beat the bikes speakers unless you buy some high quality headphones...the Logitech's that I bought are adequate but I would not consider them great. My primary goal was to get the intercom system working w/o spending $400 on HD headsets.

Should work as long as you do not require a Push To Talk (PTT) function within the headset wiring or if the headset has an automatic PTT (voice activated). On the Ultra the driver and passenger PTT works fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Today, me and the missus went from a ride and I noticed that my right headset speaker was not functioning. I checked it out when we got home and it appears that the wire is broken where it comes out of the helmet bracket. Has anyone tried to take one of these apart and fix them or is it now just a $200 piece of junk? What is the warranty on these, 30 days? This headset is only 3 months old. I don't think I'll be buying another H-D headset, but I don't really want to jury rig anything either. Any suggestions on a quality replacement that won't kill my wallet?

I've had the one that came with the bike replaced twice under the bikes warranty, I will say they are a piece of junk. From what I've read the microphone is really good but the speakers are junk. I will just keep getting it replaced untill they stop replacing it then I will find a good pair of headset speakers and replace them myself.

Steve

I took my headset in yesterday and had it replaced under warranty, the parts lady there said it was the 8th one she had replaced this year and she wasn't sure how many others had been replaced by the other guys working there. Doesn't say much for the quality of these headsets. She told me all of them had the wires broken at the helmet clamp. I will be definetly be looking for something else when the warranty is up.

I got this great little connector off EBay from a guy who makes them for plugging in a set of standard earbuds to the Harley sound system. I carry it in my windshield bag in case someone wants to use their IPod earbuds to listen to the radio and I want to listen to...well, NOTHING.
<bold> WARNING: Use by the passenger with speakers off can result in embarrassingly-loud off-key singing from the rear seat which can overpower a set of Santee 1-3/4" drag pipes and cause some interesting looks at stop lights! </bold>

Works great with a ½-helmet too.

There was also one on there that you could use a standard computer (2-plug) microphone/headset.

2190d1235182421-helmet_headsets-110348038166_1_1_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like a great idea. I have looked at the head sets, and my only question is what did you do with the volume control? I also did some research and find you can use a 5 pin din connector. Pin layout is the same so it will plug right in and the 5 pins are the ones required for use on the Harley. Gold Wing uses the 5 pin, but I have not checked the pin out of the Harley against the Gold wing yet.

Looks like a great idea. I have looked at the head sets, and my only question is what did you do with the volume control?

What volume control? You plug the headset in and use the volume control on the handlebars or tourpac. The single plug that I have works GREAT with a set of earbuds but there is no microphone hookup. If the wife has the ear buds in, she can hear you speak but can't answer back. :D

Well I have finally got my second headset built and the wife and I went on a road trip with the headsets. The noise cancelling microphone worked very well at highway speeds. The actual speakers in the headset are a different matter. They have no bass and cannot even compare to the quality of the speakers on the bike itself. So..we use the intercom system, which works very well, and just listen to the bike's speakers. We use the PTT on the handlebars and on the passengers seat to activate the intercom. We did note the speakers voice only appears in the left headset speaker instead of appearing in both speakers. This may be a Harley design since there is only two wires for the microphone. One is a ground and one is a signal wire so i doubt you will get stero or two channels of audio.

Anyone else have any thoughts one the stero vs. mono on the microphone?

- Mike

Last edited:
The mic is mono but will be heard in both ears. The Harley radio puts it into both. I have made my own headset and had no problems with sound out of 1 side. I used a comon stereo 3.5mm jack for the output side so I can use any earbuds.

The actual speakers in the headset are a different matter. They have no bass and cannot even compare to the quality of the speakers on the bike itself. So..we use the intercom system, which works very well, and just listen to the bike's speakers.

- Mike

It's a darn shame that the speaker quality isn't that great. I have been following this thread in hopes of finding an alternative to the crackly speakers from Harley.

Back