free website stats program DIY convoluted tube replacement tool ? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

DIY convoluted tube replacement tool ?

Not at all what I wanted to hear....can anyone verify this knife to the heart.

From your description of the ball bearings and race bits, it sounds like your outer cam support ball bearing in the cam plate nuked. That is actually GOOD news believe-it-or-not!! But you need to verify that when that happened, no damage was done to the inner roller bearings that support the inner end of the cam shafts. If they are OK (not fragmented), you should NOT have to get into the case. I would still replace the inner bearings with new Torringtons since there was probably some shock loading on those bearings when the outer one failed.

If it was the roller bearing in the cam support plate that came apart, you probably need to strongly consider the roller chain conversion. You will need to replace the plate, bearings, maybe pump, etc., so up-grading may be the better option. See the white paper on up-grade alternatives (does not include gear drive) and the pictorial below:

Roller Chain Conversion white paper

Harley Davidson Community

TQ's Engine Build

Harley Davidson Community

TQ

TQuentin1 you nailed it as it is the outer support bearing on the cam plate that went....and yes we put a new set of Torringtons in the rear...what a difference etween them and the stock STUFF:s...we found the cam upgrade that was said to be done to be a set of Andrews 37N s. Right now were trying to figure out how to get the bend crossmember support under the oilpan, OFF of the bottom of the oilpan so we can clean it out as there should be (EDIT) in there as it migrated through the pump and oil filter....very slight mar inside of the pump...nothing major...we'll clear all the lines as well and hope nothing is in the heads. As you stated, this was the best case scenario if there was such a thing. Spending enough $$$ so ive opted out of the hydrolic tensioners....but whose to say if someone cant talk me into them before Monday when we hit it again... i see the light at the end of the money pit!......thanks for the white paper link....i had already made myself aware of that....thats a great link! Thanks again all!

Please read and understand the info in this link below...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Back