free website stats program DIY convoluted tube replacement tool ? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

DIY convoluted tube replacement tool ?

Hi again folks...well after this problem reoccurred a mere 10k miles after the first pinholes were detected in the covo. tube inside the tank, Ive decided to tacke it myself...i bought new clamps for the tube and jokenly said to the parts cointer guy, 'ha, you dont need a special tool for them do you ?' Of course you do...so my question is ...can I just use a set of screw type clamps or will that for some reason not work

After the third time I had to replace them on my '03 UC, I had enough!! I put some heavy reinforced fuel injection tubing in there instead, and have never looked back. Yes, I used worm-gear clamps.

BTW, change out the fuel filter and fuel pressure regulator while you have all that stuff out of the tank if you did not do it last time.

TQ

Quote: After the third time I had to replace them on my '03 UC, I had enough!! I put some heavy reinforced fuel injection tubing in there instead, and have never looked back. Yes, I used worm-gear clamps.

I wondered if you could use something stronger than that flex tubing. I believe that's what I'll use when I get to filter change time... Thanks TQ :a

Quote: After the third time I had to replace them on my '03 UC, I had enough!! I put some heavy reinforced fuel injection tubing in there instead, and have never looked back. Yes, I used worm-gear clamps.

I wondered if you could use something stronger than that flex tubing. I believe that's what I'll use when I get to filter change time... Thanks TQ :a
Make sure what you use is submersible fuel line.

Enjoy,
Rich P

After the third time I had to replace them on my '03 UC, I had enough!! I put some heavy reinforced fuel injection tubing in there instead, and have never looked back. Yes, I used worm-gear clamps.

BTW, change out the fuel filter and fuel pressure regulator while you have all that stuff out of the tank if you did not do it last time.

TQ

As always, EXCELLENT advice and suggestions.

Wonder why they didn't do that to begin with ??

This is Harley we are talking about :lolrolling

Well the job went fairly smoothly. I almost gave up on it for the night on Sat. but on what was to b my last attempt of the night that hinge flipped and the assembly came out lioke a dream. I was so psyched that I completed the replacement of the innards and installed the tank back on the bike the next morn(took tank off to facilitate changing the umbrella valve assembly under the front rocker box. You all were correct about the accessability of the rear box with the frame in the way of removing some of the bolts....this did not fully alieviate the oil blowing by the air filter. Went for a great ride in the summerlike weather today and was planning on doing the alignment of the oil pump and checking the cam tensioner as soon as my pins arrived....well as I pulled into my drive I was greeted with the horrable sound of broken glass in a milk jug coming from the engine.......missed it by THAT much...depression now is enveloping me like mollasses...sigh.

Well the job went fairly smoothly. I almost gave up on it for the night on Sat. but on what was to b my last attempt of the night that hinge flipped and the assembly came out lioke a dream. I was so psyched that I completed the replacement of the innards and installed the tank back on the bike the next morn(took tank off to facilitate changing the umbrella valve assembly under the front rocker box. You all were correct about the accessability of the rear box with the frame in the way of removing some of the bolts....this did not fully alieviate the oil blowing by the air filter. Went for a great ride in the summerlike weather today and was planning on doing the alignment of the oil pump and checking the cam tensioner as soon as my pins arrived....well as I pulled into my drive I was greeted with the horrable sound of broken glass in a milk jug coming from the engine.......missed it by THAT much...depression now is enveloping me like mollasses...sigh.

mmmm thanks for the update, and please let us know later (after some beer and stress management) how the engine sound thing turns out.

Sometimes things just don't do right. But the sun still rises each morning, and it's another day.

Thanks RWD for the encouragement...I had the the 'suncoming up' moment at about 3 this afternoon...before that was a bummer.
The broken glass seems to be a cam bearing as when I opened up the cover there were 9 ball bearings and 4 small pcs of race in various nooks and crannies of the case...the outer tensioner was worn some but in relativly good shape...
Now this 88 is supposidly busted up to the 95 with a cam upgrade also...now that its gonna get opened we'll at least see if I got what I paid for. I think so because it really does PULL you through the whole gear...every gear!
So...what are the general opinions now that we hopefully have entered the dark tunnel and will soon see the light...what else if anything do you think got damaged in the break up...any chance of that (EDIT) migrating into the heads or anywhere else where they will be timebombs or does the pan and filter get that stuff? While its open the shoes etc. will obviously be replaced.
Thanks for the tip on the engine build slideshow regarding the opening of the rear caliper plug to lower the brake peddel. Taking the front pipe off was a relative breeze compared to what I expected...lowering that peddel and tieing it down made all the difference.
As always my thanks goes out to the folks from, and of, this site.

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks RWD for the encouragement...I had the the 'suncoming up' moment at about 3 this afternoon...before that was a bummer.
The broken glass seems to be a cam bearing as when I opened up the cover there were 9 ball bearings and 4 small pcs of race in various nooks and crannies of the case...the outer tensioner was worn some but in relativly good shape...
Now this 88 is supposidly busted up to the 95 with a cam upgrade also...now that its gonna get opened we'll at least see if I got what I paid for. I think so because it really does PULL you through the whole gear...every gear!
.... ........... .. ..

Mikey I wouldn't pull anything just to check for the big bore kit, unless you feel part of the cam bearing failure got into the crank. But that's just my opinion. If you don't already have the hydraulic cam tensioner upgrade now is the time to do it.

Here is a good video to help you along on the cam bearing replacement.

Cam Replacement on a Harley Davidson Twin Cam, including Pushrod Removal • J&P Cycles - YouTube

I could be wrong, but, I believe you will have to split the cases to get all the cam bearing pieces out for sure, especially if it was an inner bearing.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Back