free website stats program DIY convoluted tube replacement tool ? | Harley Davidson Forums

DIY convoluted tube replacement tool ?

massmikey

Hi again folks...well after this problem reoccurred a mere 10k miles after the first pinholes were detected in the covo. tube inside the tank, Ive decided to tacke it myself...i bought new clamps for the tube and jokenly said to the parts cointer guy, 'ha, you dont need a special tool for them do you ?' Of course you do...so my question is ...can I just use a set of screw type clamps or will that for some reason not work
thanks for all the great topics and threads here at this site...simply increadable response and must read info for any and all HD owners. I encourage everyone to contribute because somewhere along the line, this site will save you time, money or both...(EDIT) straight!

Please read and understand the info in this link below...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
You can use a set of fence wire cutters. Those are the ones with the cutting edges in the very front, like your front teeth. You might want to take a small file and round the cutting eges just a bit. Get the smallest ones you can find, that will still do the job, and only clamp down tight enough that the clamps don't want to rotate around when you twist on them. Otherwise, you could break the nipple you are clamping to.

Enjoy,
Rich P

I just played with 4 sets of those clamps on that fuel line..........i have a story on here somewhere about that. I used a set of dull 7" side cutters (dikes)......worked fine.

While yer there..........maybe swap out that fuel filter? just a thought.

RibEye is right on, I call them end cutters or tieing rebar they call them nippers. they work good just don't squeze too tight.

I bought a small, cheap, pair of end cutters at Harbor Freight to cut the OEM clamps. I then used small screw clamps to replace them. It's been 2 years with no problems.

Ok thanks...If Ive got one tool for sure, its a dull pair of dikes...Id go through them 2 pairs a yr when doing electrical. And A Hawg Ive got the new filter also...was even thinking of the pressure reg also but these tubes will probably wear out in a year or two. This is supposed to be a revised part...the revision was to make it shorter so as not to rub...the price also revised 15 dollars more...go figure... shorter tube, more money...gonna dive in there tomorrow ...thanks everybody

If your worried about the new tube wearing thru, there was a post about slicing the old tube from end to end and wrapping it around the new tube as a protector. Just a thought.:s

Back