free website stats program Did you add TFI to TC 88ci 'after' stage 1? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Did you add TFI to TC 88ci 'after' stage 1?

http://www.hdtimeline.com/softail_models/6587-lean_running.html

I don't have the popping and the TFI did mess up the idle.

OK am I stuck with it and does every one with this problem except it?

Al

This has created a new gadget industry.
Is that the intent of the legislators?

As Smitty mentioned the TFI cannot mess up the idle unless you are running it so overly rich above the recommended settings that it fouls the plugs.

Your problem lies elsewhere and being you have been the repair business 52 years relates to a history that should tell you that the modern Harley fuel injection system can be altered by altering the pulse width of the injectors like most fuelers are capable of, so how did this mess up the idle?

I would suggest looking elsewhere for the problem rather than blaming the TFI for your problem.

You didn't mention if you checked for intake leaks yet???

"This has created a new gadget industry."
Not a great way of looking at modern technology. One must understand the modern technology before condemning it and Techlusion has been around for many years in many fields besides bikes with excellent results.

As Smitty mentioned the TFI cannot mess up the idle unless you are running it so overly rich above the recommended settings that it fouls the plugs.

Your problem lies elsewhere and being you have been the repair business 52 years relates to a history that should tell you that the modern Harley fuel injection system can be altered by altering the pulse width of the injectors like most fuelers are capable of, so how did this mess up the idle?

I would suggest looking elsewhere for the problem rather than blaming the TFI for your problem.

You didn't mention if you checked for intake leaks yet???

"This has created a new gadget industry."
Not a great way of looking at modern technology. One must understand the modern technology before condemning it and Techlusion has been around for many years in many fields besides bikes with excellent results.

I'm not blaming the tfi for the problem. The plugs were not fouling with either the 14XIED or The SE Fueler. The idle with -10% or 0% or +10% on the fueler was not as stable as with out the gadgets.

The springer thread notes the same on the idle.

I spent a lot of time testing riding and recalibrating with little change in the performance (smooth performance), over 100 miles and several changes.

It's gadget free now, but I'm not satisfied

Smitty, I did have the dealer do the torque thing, now it pings slightly and I use 93 octane

I'll have a conversation on the subject tomorrow with the tech at the Harley dealer.
They road tested it after the change, maybe they thought I was going to race it (G)
I say another road test by the dealer Tech is in order.

Al

I used the propane method described in the manual, exception, I have MAP gas.
It will show the same results. RPM was not effected.

Al

Best results are obtained doing the intake leak testing under the same conditions that the problem occurs for most accurate results. If the problem occurs when it is hot, then do the testing when the engine is hot.

I'll do it again hot, oil temp about 200 tomorrow morning, weather permitting.

Thanks for your concern,
This is the best riding bike I've had, all the way back to my first, a well used Chief 80 road load and then several "metrics" (in the younger dirt bike days)

Al

glider,

Checked it hot this a.m., a very lengthy test both sides under and over.
Idle, rev, idle and then some, no change in sound or idle speed.
No codes either.
Codes with the gadgets. PO's 131 - 132 - 151 - 152 Part # 32919-076

Did not have a chance to speak to the tech at the dealer, I'll try tomorrow.

Al

Back