free website stats program detachable tour pak rac | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

detachable tour pak rac

UPDATE: Had the removable rack installed for a couple of months now, even picked up a Street Glide seat. Bike looks good but I must have done something wrong. Here's what's happening, last weekend I needed to ride two up with the wife to a restaurant. I installed the stock seat and then attempted to put the tour pak on. It wouldn't fit. The front of the tourpak was binding against the back of the seat, like the frame was too close. I know there are two slots on the underside of the tourpak and I installed the rack frame in the one farthest away from the seat so that is not it.

I had to put the Street glide seat on in order to install the tour pak. Even at that both the wife and I noticed the riding position was more crowded.
Did I do something wrong? I don't have the instructions anymore and I have looked at the rack/tour pak and can't figure out why it is not fitting. Any ideas?

I appreciate the link, Don. It was my understanding that I bought the complete kit from Harley, and it would fit properly. I don't want to spend another 130.00 to ride two up. I'm hoping someone else with this kit had the same problem.

I appreciate the link, Don. It was my understanding that I bought the complete kit from Harley, and it would fit properly. I don't want to spend another 130.00 to ride two up. I'm hoping someone else with this kit had the same problem.

Looking at the instruction for part installed it shows no adjustment front to rear. Is there enough if you loosen attaching bolts to box and slide box assembly rearward??? Or is it possible to elongate holes in box to do this. If not what HDDon has given you might be the next step so that you can adjust placement on box.

UPDATE: Had the removable rack installed for a couple of months now, even picked up a Street Glide seat. Bike looks good but I must have done something wrong. Here's what's happening, last weekend I needed to ride two up with the wife to a restaurant. I installed the stock seat and then attempted to put the tour pak on. It wouldn't fit. The front of the tourpak was binding against the back of the seat, like the frame was too close. I know there are two slots on the underside of the tourpak and I installed the rack frame in the one farthest away from the seat so that is not it.

I had to put the Street glide seat on in order to install the tour pak. Even at that both the wife and I noticed the riding position was more crowded.
Did I do something wrong? I don't have the instructions anymore and I have looked at the rack/tour pak and can't figure out why it is not fitting. Any ideas?

The slot (indent) farthest away from the seat results in the tourpack being CLOSER to the seat. But it should still fit. I just measured my '07 (same frame as yours), and the front of the T.P. is 2" from the back edge of the stock seat, installed. For some reason, I always put the T.P. on first, then the seat, would that work for you? Let me know, and we can exchange pics and measurements to get it right.

Breeze, just checked the tourpak. The frame is installed in the slot closest to the seat, my earlier statement was wrong. Regarding measurements, the frame sticks out from the tourpak between 1/4" and a 1/2", that is what binds against the stock seat. I did notice a mistake, I installed those aluminum "shims" that are curved on one side and flat on the other. the ones that were on the bottom of the tourpak from the facory. I installed them right where the frame extends beyond the tourpak, this has forced the frame ends down toward the seat, that might be what my problem is. I'll fix it tomorrow after work and check it then.
Appreciate your help.

Back