free website stats program Dead odometer/speedo, no spark? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Dead odometer/speedo, no spark?

You may want to try this to make sure the coil is good. You may show good power going in but not so good coming out.

If you want to "bench" test a coil, remove wires, attach a hot 12 volt to the battery (batt, +, etc.) terminal. Then attach a wire to the ignition (ign) terminal and touch ground and remove. Should throw a spark from the high tension lead with each application of 12v and removal. The ground wire basically imitates the function of the ignition points/module. If the high tension lead terminal is gapped a reasonable amount from the engine, there should be a bright white spark. Weak or orange spark indicates (low voltage...or) bad coil output

? What would make the odometer screen blank?
No power, bad ground, or bad speedo.

I have 12.6v to the #1 speedo wire and the backlite will come on but that is all. This is the 67033-00 speedo without security. Also I failed to mention it is a carburated bike. It cranks good, just no spark.
If you are getting 12+ at the #1 wire then I agree with shovel and would not concentrate on the speedometer for now, we wanted to see if its a common power problem. Have you checked your grounds under the seat?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back