free website stats program Cruise control experience | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Cruise control experience

I use it all the time. I have a tip for ya if you havent already discovered, you can twist the throttle backwards to cancel it.

And for those that haven't discovered this, if you bump the accel/set button forward momentarily when the cruise control is set, it will change the set speed approximately 1 mph per bump. Bump it rapidly 5 times forward and it will accelerate the bike's set speed 5 mph. The same goes for the deceleration/coast side. Bump the switch BACK and it will decelerate 1 mph per bump. That is what I use when I am riding in a group (of touring bikes with cruise controls set) to calibrate my speed to the pack.

Many people don't realize that this is exactly how the cruise control also functions in their automobiles.

A few years back there was several threads about the CC engaging by it's self. What I think was happening a person was accelerating to pass someone with the cruise engaged on the freeway or where ever and when they went to slow back down the CC picked back up. So be aware!

The cruise control working intermittently or not engaging at all was the first indication of my rear brake light switch malfunction on my '07 Ultra. The brake light stayed on all the time (and the cruise wouldn't engage) with the resulting heat from the brake light bulb causing the circuit board in the brake light housing to overheat and fail. (At least that's what the dealership said...I think they changed out the circuit board and when that didn't fix it, traced it further to the brake light switch but, already having changed out the circuit board, had to justify it somehow to collect under the ESP.)

The cruise control working intermittently or not engaging at all was the first indication of my rear brake light switch malfunction on my '07 Ultra. The brake light stayed on all the time (and the cruise wouldn't engage) with the resulting heat from the brake light bulb causing the circuit board in the brake light housing to overheat and fail. (At least that's what the dealership said...I think they changed out the circuit board and when that didn't fix it, traced it further to the brake light switch but, already having changed out the circuit board, had to justify it somehow to collect under the ESP.)

Sounds like a lot of businesses these days, just keep throwing parts at it and not really trouble shooting. We are lucky here on the forum to have members that can guide us through it.

A few years back there was several threads about the CC engaging by it's self. What I think was happening a person was accelerating to pass someone with the cruise engaged on the freeway or where ever and when they went to slow back down the CC picked back up. So be aware!

For me I'd hit the cruise set at the same time as the signal switch.

I'm wondering if Root Beer King had a cruise control mechanism added to his Heritage, because all my '09 Heritage has is the throttle lock knob. I use it occasionally, but it doesn't really keep my bike at the speed where I try to set it. Now on my '13 Street Glide.....oh my goodness! I love the cruise and I know it made the long ride up to Sturgis a lot more bearable, especially through the western side of Oklahoma, Kansas, and Nebraska, not to mention it leaves my right hand free to take pictures while I ride:D

Back