free website stats program Complete oil change | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Complete oil change

I have another question regarding - bike out in unheated garage or store building or work shop. I keep my bike out in my shop - no heat - no ac. The weather here got very very humid (south louisiana) the other day and temps went from sorta coolish to sorta warmish - my bike was totally covered with tons of condensation. It was more wet than if I had hit it with the water hose - and this condensation would have just sat untill it evaporated. I actually wiped it off that time - but what about all the other times? I would think this would be a big cause for things to rust up... almost like parking it outside and letting the dew on it every nite. Now I know why my table saw etc rusts up. I know some folks really try hard to keep their bikes DRY - this just seems to me to be a concern when bikes are stored out in a non-heated/cooled/ventelated store building. Has anyone else had this concern and what do we do about it?

PS - Richard mentioned his bike sits in his detached, unheated and not too well insulated garage....I know this is not about oil changes, so if its in the wrong place, please move it and I appologize.

Bill

Just one question here, I do agree that this is a better time to do the oil change, but what about the riding 10 miles or so to get things up to operating temerature...? Just wondering.
========================================================
I'm openin' myself up for this one, so here goes. I don't subscribe to the "get it up to operating temp" before changing oil theory. IMO all that does is make it uncomfortable working with hot drain plugs, filter canisters and oil. We are changing FILTERED oil, if you got chunks in there, you need more than an oil change, and chunks will hide in the corners hot or cold. Yes, hot oil drains faster than cold (not talking freezing), so what is a couple extra minutes? Any chemical contaminants are either floating on top of, or settled under the cold oil, they will come out the drain first or last, I see no need to "mix" them up to drain. When cold, all the oil is in it's lowest position in the motor (it has all dripped off internal parts). No burned fingers for me. :bigsmiley11:

Want some visual proof of why it is better to drain the oil warm. Next time drain the HOT oil into a clear glass cooking dish. Let it stay motionless for a day or so. Now slowly pour off the cold oil from the dish. You will quickly understand and see that the filter does not do it all..

I have another question regarding - bike out in unheated garage or store building or work shop. I keep my bike out in my shop - no heat - no ac. The weather here got very very humid (south louisiana) the other day and temps went from sorta coolish to sorta warmish - my bike was totally covered with tons of condensation. It was more wet than if I had hit it with the water hose - and this condensation would have just sat untill it evaporated. I actually wiped it off that time - but what about all the other times? I would think this would be a big cause for things to rust up... almost like parking it outside and letting the dew on it every nite. Now I know why my table saw etc rusts up. I know some folks really try hard to keep their bikes DRY - this just seems to me to be a concern when bikes are stored out in a non-heated/cooled/ventelated store building. Has anyone else had this concern and what do we do about it?

PS - Richard mentioned his bike sits in his detached, unheated and not too well insulated garage....I know this is not about oil changes, so if its in the wrong place, please move it and I appologize.

Bill

A bit more ventilation should help with this one so that the air can circulate freely through the storage area

Brian

Thanks for all the info. Since it gets me a chance to ride both bikes now, I will just keep warming them up. :s What I generally do is ride one, get it in the shop, lift it up, then get everything together. That takes long enough that the bike generally cools down enough so that I don't get burned. While bike one drains, I'll ride the other bike or do something else for a bit. Then, I go back, fill the oils & switch the bikes. It seems to work for me, so I will probably keep doing that.

I don't think I will even do the experiment with letting oil set.....:)

LOL, It's like I get to play while I work. :s We are truly blessed to enjoy what we have. For a couple of years, the harley's were the nicest vehicles we had. :S Priorities you know.

Thanks for all the info. Since it gets me a chance to ride both bikes now, I will just keep warming them up. :s What I generally do is ride one, get it in the shop, lift it up, then get everything together. That takes long enough that the bike generally cools down enough so that I don't get burned. While bike one drains, I'll ride the other bike or do something else for a bit. Then, I go back, fill the oils & switch the bikes. It seems to work for me, so I will probably keep doing that.

I don't think I will even do the experiment with letting oil set.....:)

AAAAHHHHHH SNAP!!!!! You go girl!!!! hahaha! :laugh

Back