free website stats program Combo Analog Speedometer / Tach Install | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Combo Analog Speedometer / Tach Install

Now for the question of the day...Does anyone know if it will work with a Thundermax ecm installed? I would love one but I would be pretty bummed if I spent that much $$ only to find out half of the functions dont work.

Now for the question of the day...Does anyone know if it will work with a Thundermax ecm installed? I would love one but I would be pretty bummed if I spent that much $$ only to find out half of the functions dont work.

I don't know much about the ThunderMax but common sense would dictate the ThunderMax should not affect the accuracy of the speedometer or the tach since they must work properly for the bike to run efficiently. Also the ThunderMax must provide the same data output to the speedo and tach. That's my educated guess.

Since I installed the speedo/tach combo, I can tell you through my experience, the speedo/tach combo is truly plug and play with the existing stock wiring harness.

So my educated guess would be the ThunderMax should be fine. You could check with the ThunderMax tech people to be sure.

One caviat...not all models supply the rpm signal to the speedometer. The rpm signal is needed by the ECM, so it is always available in the system harness. In such a case, the speedo/tach is supplied with a long jumper wire, to tap into the rpm signal and get it to the gauge.

The issue is that the pin that supplies the rpm signal to the gauge connector generally does not go in easily. Many folks push the pin in, but do not fully register it in the connector, so that it clicks and is positively retained. In such a case, the pin can work its way out and the rpm portion of the gauge can become intermittent or stop working.

Also, in the process if inserting the pin, frustration and effort can cause the wire to pull out or break off from the pin, and the pin is then stuck in the connector, requiring a special extraction tool to correct.

My input is to encourage care and patience during installation. It is not too difficult, just know this possible gotcha.

Enjoy,
Rich P
========================================================

I just installed on an '09 Roadking with Thundermax TBW ..... Works perfectly!!
In my consideration of the Thundermax, the manufacturer informs me that all gauges will work properly. One issue I have seen locally, however, is that there is some need for data communication between the ECM and speedometer, that the Thundermax does not supply. Due to this, on some models ('07 touring, specifically, and mayby others), after some large number of hours of operation, the speedometer will quit working while running down the road. This state is easily reset, by turning off the ignition, waiting some small number of seconds, and restarting the engine. This is not a big issue, but can be frustrating, since you have to pull over to address it. I have heard that that Zippers has addressed the issue, but have not heard back from the individual with the problem. I do not know if the speedo/tach has the same need for data communication, as the stock speedo.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Last edited by a moderator:
Wish that would work with my 05 softail. Looks awesome. The other version will work but they want about twice as much and the newer one looks better in my opinion.

That does look really good. Why can't they make one like that for the early model TC's??? Bet they'd sell a lot of them. I'm not crazy about the one that fits my bike for $450.

Sorry to bring back this topic from the dead but I just bought this combo even though my 2006 SE Fat Boy already has a tach because I wanted to put risers on my bike and figured I'd get rid of the tach can above the handlebar clamps. My question is, I have a 2006 SE Fat Boy. Does this bike have an on board computer that stores the mileage? Will this combo/tach unit work with my bike? Will the odometer work?

Thanks Guys!

Put one on my 09 Heritage. Just plug and go. Took about 15 minutes. Love it. Fuel gauge seems to be more accurate then the tank gauge and you can make any color combination you want. Best thing I have ever bought.
Nam Vet
PaPa T

Keep this in mind...

When you replace your stock speedo with the new combo unit, you cannot switch back to the stock one again. My understanding is the stock one can no longer can be used. It isn't capable of being updated with the odometer settings, etc.

Possibly the dealer can do it but naturally you'll be paying.

When I traded my 2008 Heritage (I still miss it), the combo speedo/tach went with the bike. The stock speedo is still in the box sitting in my basement. Anyone want to make an offer? LOL

See the entire line of H-D combo speedo/tach models here:

Back