free website stats program cold temps hard start | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

cold temps hard start

I am running a 95 ci big bore and SE 203 cams in mine with a TFI module. It has been dyno'd by the local dealer and makes 103 torque and 82 hp.
I switched over to Syn 3 about a year ago and before that I ran H-D 20-50 dino oil.
It starts just fine all the way down to about 35 F, with the stock battery and starter. That's about as cold as I have tried it.
Like the others said, I think you need a fuel module.
Rod

I am running a 95 ci big bore and SE 203 cams in mine with a TFI module. It has been dyno'd by the local dealer and makes 103 torque and 82 hp.
I switched over to Syn 3 about a year ago and before that I ran H-D 20-50 dino oil.
It starts just fine all the way down to about 35 F, with the stock battery and starter. That's about as cold as I have tried it.
Like the others said, I think you need a fuel module.
Rod

Rod
Hope you aren't running syn 3 in the transmission, use a gear oil in there. Some dealers push syn 3 in all three holes but I think it's a matter of convenience.

Just the same as you wouldn't use a gear oil in the engine, syn 3 isn't good in the transmission.

Glider
After reading a few posts on this site about Syn 3 in the trans I think I will switch it out to a gear lube in the spring. Right now the bike is in storage for the winter. We only get about 6 months of riding up here in the great white north.
Thanks for the advice.
Rod

Ok I added a tuner and adjusted the fuel ratio up and it still won't start on the cold days? I'm going to have to look elsewhere for the problem can anyone tell me where to look for the temp sensor and about what they cost to replace? Why would they ever do away with a choke?

Glider
After reading a few posts on this site about Syn 3 in the trans I think I will switch it out to a gear lube in the spring. Right now the bike is in storage for the winter. We only get about 6 months of riding up here in the great white north.
Thanks for the advice.
Rod

Good move, you will see a difference.

Ok I added a tuner and adjusted the fuel ratio up and it still won't start on the cold days? I'm going to have to look elsewhere for the problem can anyone tell me where to look for the temp sensor and about what they cost to replace? Why would they ever do away with a choke?

The temp sensor is located on the rear of the front cylinder up near the top. Not an expensive part.

Treat it easy when installing it, they do break.

It's probably a lot easier if you lift the tank up an prop it up with something.

Here's a chart for testing the sensor.

ETSensorValues.gif

I had to shut the tuner off on my bike it was giving it to much fuel and was poping on decel no matter how low I set it. It didn't help out my cold starting issue anyway and it runs great again. Thanks for the chart Glider that will be my next step.

Rod
Hope you aren't running syn 3 in the transmission, use a gear oil in there. Some dealers push syn 3 in all three holes but I think it's a matter of convenience.

Just the same as you wouldn't use a gear oil in the engine, syn 3 isn't good in the transmission.

Wow just had my locle dealer do a service,need to ask them is it normal for the to put syndicate in the Transmission. Will make them change it immediately! I know this is a old Thread,but great information
WAP.gif

Back