free website stats program cold temps hard start | Harley Davidson Forums

cold temps hard start

Fearless1

My 99 roadking EFI will start real hard after it drops below 55 degrees outside and ounce it drops below 50 degrees it refuses to start at all unless I put a lightbulb under it at night. Twincam 88 with oversized cams and stage1 screaming eagle upgrade, no tuner. Any suggestions is appreciated because I ride year round to work and need to make sure it starts in the AM.:25:

You say "no tuner" have you had a dealer reflash? (Which is still lean)

With the bigger cams no tuner and a stage 1, it sounds as if you are lean. A cold engine in colder temps needs more fuel to get it running on first startup. You may need to add a tuner like a TFI to the mix to get better starting and performance.
What weight oil are you using in it?
How are the plugs? Changed recently?

http://www.techlusion.com/

You say "no tuner" have you had a dealer reflash? (Which is still lean)

With the bigger cams no tuner and a stage 1, it sounds as if you are lean. A cold engine in colder temps needs more fuel to get it running on first startup. You may need to add a tuner like a TFI to the mix to get better starting and performance.
What weight oil are you using in it?
How are the plugs? Changed recently?

http://www.techlusion.com/
What he said twice!! :D

I changed plugs about a month ago and went to a lighter oil so maybe you are correct and I need to add a tuner but the damn cost of those things get me and I don't actually understand them totally can you suggest a simple to install and easy to use one?

I changed plugs about a month ago and went to a lighter oil so maybe you are correct and I need to add a tuner but the damn cost of those things get me and I don't actually understand them totally can you suggest a simple to install and easy to use one?

The TFI that I posted the link to is about all you need without getting into engine setup and ignition timing etc.

It's a very easy installation and setup, no computer skills needed at all. I have used them many times and I am happy with the results I got.

Here's some more input on it including a video and flash install.

http://www.hdtimeline.com/diagnosti...i_installation_on_05_bike_video.html#post4345

Is a weak battery another possibily..?? She may crank over , but is there enough left for EFI.

Just a thought.

I think if you got all that done to your bike and you go ahead and get a tuner......what ever you decide to go with your be kicking yourself in the hind end for not getting one sooner.

Do some research on the net and at your dealer or local custom shop ask around and get opinions from experience. theres a lot of tuners on the market. I have a cobra FI2000 it does the job but I think I'm gonna upgrade to the Thundermax Auto tuner witch used wide band oxygen sensors instead of the stock Narrow band. I think with yours the TFI that glider suggested would probably to an excellent job as your ride doesn't have oxygen sensors. A buddy of mine has a 2005 Heritage with 95" motor and is using the cobra. The cobra works like the TFI but has one less "pot" to adjust. both are fairly simple to install and set up. Both are also fairly inexpensive as far as tuners go. you can probably find either one on ebay for less than $200.

Good luck on the starting issue. I agree with Glider and his "brother from another mother". but even if that's not it your bike will run better with a tuner.

Thanks for all the advice as for moving further south I'm allready just about an hour from Mexico and there is no way I would move there. I have computrer skills I had my own repair business for 9 years so that is not my problem. The battery is fine it will crank forever just won't fire and run. I have just never dealt with a tuner before guess it's time to learn sure wish I had my old iron head sporty back at least it had a enrichner and started at any temp and all it took was a screwdriver to adjust it.

Last edited:
Back