free website stats program cold temps hard start | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

cold temps hard start

The size of the cam will effect your cranking compression but it shouldn't impact the enrichment of the fuel system to a point of causing a problem.

This is something I didn't think of when I replied previously. If it isn't cranking properly as in cranking and then hesitating or stalling, the cam may be your problem and you may need compression reliefs but it doesn't sound like the problem by the way you describe it.

Last edited:
Setting aside the possibility of a bad CHT (cilinder head temp) sensor, I would say you need a tuner.

If you think the tuner I posted a link to on ebay will work I will buy it now before I tear out a starter or ring gear? I forget to place the bulb under it sometimes.

Last edited:
I was also later thinking of the Temp sensor. Have you always had the problem or did it just start this year. as for the tuner, i've never seen that one before and from what I know I'de probably spend a little more on the cobra or the TFI

I would also go with a name brand too like the TFI even over the cobra. It's more user friendly. I've used them both and the TFI is easier to work with.

Thank you all very much for the tips off to ebay I go. Oh by the way I have had the bike for about a year and a half and it has always started hard when very cold.

For a test the other day I didn't put the bulb under it overnight then the next morning I pulled the plugs and give each cylinder a shot of gas replaced plugs and it fired right up so it must be lacking fuel. The next night I put the bulb right under the injector between the cylinders and it started great so my guess is it is lacking fuel again at startup at lower temps. Wildspirit97 sent me a link to a cobra tuner on ebay at a real good price so I put a bid on it now to wait and see if i get it or not. You guys are the greatest thanks again for all the help.

30-50 bucks is real good deal even if it get's up to $100 it's still fair, but anything over that don't buy it

Back