free website stats program Close call saturday. Need advice | Harley Davidson Forums

Close call saturday. Need advice

STEVE07

Staff member
Super Moderators
My wife and I were riding the backroads down by Lake Erie on Saturday and coming up a hill on a blind corner there was a Jimmy barrelling down on us head on tires squealing to keep hold. Split second decision I took the ditch rather than his front bumper. Somehow we made it down the incline and back onto the road. Now I have a low speed front end wobble and when cornering left I get what best can be described as a buzzing vibration through the handlebars. I have put the front wheel on my old fashioned electric wheel spinner/balancer the wheel runs true. The balance was out a bit so I changed the weights but the problem remains the same. Any ideas or suggestions??

That is a scary read! Very happy you and the Mrs are OK.

Thanks Godfrey. It shook us both up for a bit. I'm glad Barb was riding with me and not her own bike. She is still very much a new rider.

Real glad you and Barb are OK. Sounds like some real good reflexes and excellent bike handling. Have you tried doing a fall away test on the front end? I would probably at the very least put an inclinometer on the front and back wheel to see if something is out of alignment. Doesn't take much to bend the front forks either.

I have done the fallaway test, and checked neck bearing torque. The wheel bearings feel fine as well. I will check the front to rear alignment tomorrow. If that is fine I will make an appointment at Kitchener HD. It should be covered under the wheel and tire road hazard warranty but with so little of the season left I don't want it tied up there. I would like to take a few more good runs before I lay it up for a bit. The FXRS is great for a few hrs. but not for a good fall scenic ride.

Very glad you and Barb are ok also...Its quite something that you were able to keep on two wheels.....:).....

Very glad that you were able to make the best of it and the results were not different! Glad you & Barb are both okay.

WOW. Sure sounds like you made the right choice. Glad both you and your lady are OK. Now to get the scoot OK as well. Please let us know what you find.

Wow, Good you and Barb are OK, check the front rotors for wapage? Jack the front end off the ground, spin the front wheel and put your hand on the lower kegs Do you feel the buzz? If you do it is the wheel bearings

Last edited by a moderator:
Back