free website stats program Changing to Michelin Commander IIs from Pirelli Night Dragons | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Changing to Michelin Commander IIs from Pirelli Night Dragons

Well, fortunately, with three bikes I don't put 36K miles on a single bike and at the reduce rate I have been riding the last two years, a tire could last two seasons.;)
So whadaya got? a sporty,Dyna,and bagger?

wait no you said you had a Deuce I think

Last edited by a moderator:
jamesearl said:
So whadaya got? a sporty,Dyna,and bagger? wait no you said you had a Deuce I think

BMW R9T, '05 FXSTD and just sold the '02 FLHT; down to two bikes now. Currently undecided on whether to trade the R9T along with the cash received for the '02 FLHT for a '19-'20 BMW 1250 RT or look for later, like '09-'10 FLHX for another project like the '02 FLHT. Taking my time to make the decision; gotta go ride the 1250 first. If I go the FLHX route, it will be some cosmetic changes and most likely a 124" motor build on the OEM cases looking for 140 square numbers.

Gonna dismount the wheels on my '12 Ultra Classic tonight. Got a set of new Michelin Commander IIs delivered yesterday from Cycle Gear. Good looking tires, and the born on date stamped on the sidewall is late '17 for both of them! Like that!! So tomorrow morning I'm gonna take the wheels and tires over to Cycle Gear and have them mounted and balanced. Yay!

28,980 - Replaced tires: 130/80B-17 (65H TL/TT) MICHELIN COMMANDER II Front Tire (4717); 180/65B-16 (81H TL/TT) MICHELIN COMMANDER II Rear Tire (5117). Pirelli tires had F:14,630 / R:6,350 miles on them. Probably could have gotten more on the rear, but the front is shot! Air pressure: Front 36psi, Rear 42psi. 04/12/2018. See the pix below of the old and new tires.

View attachment 18160 View attachment 18161View attachment 18162 View attachment 18163 View attachment 18164

Cheers,
TQ
Like your jack. Where did u get it and how much was it?15673492043041477922893.jpg

OK Guys (and Dolls!), been away from here a while. Can you spell d-i-v-o-r-c-e?

Anyway, here's some feedback on the MichCom IIs that I had installed back in April '18. I now have over 15k miles on them! Rear still has some meat on it, but the front is ready for a change. That is very good wear in my experience. I am a daily (weather permit) rider, and with the air temps here in Houston close to the century mark and the highway surface temps 20+ more, the mileage I got from the Commander IIs is impressive.

I did have an issue with the front when it was new. The shop couldn't get the wheel to balance. There is no alignment spot on the sidewall, so the shop mounted it as is. They finally had to break it down and rotate the tire 120* and then it balanced out mostly. Still a bit of bounce, but probably only cause I was hyper-sensitive to it and noticed it. Might have just been psychosomatic!!

Anyway. I think I am gonna try the Metzeler ME888 ULTRAs next, if I can find them. Haven't done them on any of my bikes. Will let y'all know how they do!!

Cheers,

TQ

OK. So I got the Metzeler ME Triple 8s in, mounted and balanced at Cycle Gear. The MichCom IIs had about 15.5K miles on them. I consider that VERY good mileage. I think that the wider tire on the back accounts for the fact that the fronts and the backs were ready to be changed at the same time. Might have been able to get another 1,000 or so out of the front, but I hate to temp fate!!! The rear did NOT have more meat on it. It was time!!!

The Metzler are within my spec for age. Front was 4018, and back was 0819!

Cheers,

TQ

IMG_2733.JPG IMG_2736.JPG IMG_2734.JPG IMG_2735.JPG

A few months ago I replaced my rear with a Mich Com 2 and loved it. Last week, I had the front put on and I can't stand it... I don't know if it is just having to get used to it but in slow corners (5-25ish) the bike feels like it is resisting my efforts to make the corner and putting me wide. It literally feels like it is pushing against me rather than just letting me push on the inside bar to make a slow turn. Did yours ever feel like this? I've never ever felt something like it and I am hoping that I'll either just get used to it and push harder on the inside or that with a little wear it will just get "normal." On my Dyna they worked great, but this Streetglide feels weird with them... I'll give it a month then I might go back to a Dunlop American for the front.

1st set of Commander 11 got 24,000 miles but 2nd set only got 13,000 on rear. What could be the difference?

Thanks for reply Jeff. I double checked the mileage numbers I had written in my book. Thought maybe I was 10,000 miles off.

man when i switched from dunlop to the commanders they were so different meaning much better i will never go back mich is the way to go bike is way smoother

Back