free website stats program Changing to Michelin Commander IIs from Pirelli Night Dragons | Harley Davidson Forums

Changing to Michelin Commander IIs from Pirelli Night Dragons

TQuentin1

Staff member
Gonna dismount the wheels on my '12 Ultra Classic tonight. Got a set of new Michelin Commander IIs delivered yesterday from Cycle Gear. Good looking tires, and the born on date stamped on the sidewall is late '17 for both of them! Like that!! So tomorrow morning I'm gonna take the wheels and tires over to Cycle Gear and have them mounted and balanced. Yay!

28,980 - Replaced tires: 130/80B-17 (65H TL/TT) MICHELIN COMMANDER II Front Tire (4717); 180/65B-16 (81H TL/TT) MICHELIN COMMANDER II Rear Tire (5117). Pirelli tires had F:14,630 / R:6,350 miles on them. Probably could have gotten more on the rear, but the front is shot! Air pressure: Front 36psi, Rear 42psi. 04/12/2018. See the pix below of the old and new tires.

IMG_2013.JPG IMG_2014.JPGIMG_2015.JPG IMG_2016.JPG IMG_2017.JPG

Cheers,
TQ

Last edited:
Yup you were due for new skins.
Let us know how you like the Michelin’s.

I’ve never ran them on a scoot but have on a car, great tires and good mileage.

Been a Dunlop guy on my Harley’s. Put commander II’s on my limited have about 8k on them so far. Great tire, are they worth the premium price? Jury still out. May try Shinko’s next fire change. Like Jeff have Michelin’s on my F150 very happy with them.

I've been using the Commander II's and really like them. They have as good or better grip than the Dunlops and I'm getting close to double the mileage.

I get them from M and M Cycles and they're $10 less than the Dunlops. I always thought that Michelin's would be more money.

TQ, Maybe it's just me but, your front tire appears to have worn unevenly. That is, there appears to be more wear on the rotor side of the tire. Could that be a bearing or axle wear? Just an observation, friend. Hope you like your new Michelins.

TQ, Maybe it's just me but, your front tire appears to have worn unevenly. That is, there appears to be more wear on the rotor side of the tire. Could that be a bearing or axle wear? Just an observation, friend. Hope you like your new Michelins.
Good eye.

Resurrecting an old thread to check on how you liked the change. My stock rear dunlop is in need of replacement at only 12000 miles. Front is fine. I've heard that the Commander II's add a lot of stability in cornering but they do't look to have much tread in the center at all so wondering about problems on black ice.

Back