free website stats program Caught out after dark | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Caught out after dark

Getting outside of your comfort zone can be a good thing. Use the experience to improve your focus and concentration. Riding at night or in rain is feared by many but each can be a useful learning tool. The first time I rode in the rain at night was a scary experience (may have been partially due to the dim headlight on my 73 Sporty), but with today's lighting it's not a problem.

Ask yourself, do you just want to ride around town (nothing wrong with that) or do you want to really get out and explore the country? If so you will need the skills to ride in the dark and rain, sometimes all at once. Better to try it a few times on purpose than to find yourself in an unknown area at night with a rain storm starting.

I enjoy riding in the dark, but I get a lot of reflection in the windshield from my running lights. I ride different at night by looking over windshield (instead of through windshield most of the time in daylight).

Yeah I noticed the odd moving reflections through the windshield but it sounds like I best leave it on for my next night ride due to the bugs. It was distracting at first but once I got into the ride I got my attention away from it. I guess motorcycling at night is just like everything else....more risk more reward.

I like to ride at night. When the temp starts going through the roof riding at night is even better because it is a lot cooler. Plus it seems that cages see you better at night because of your headlight.

To cut down on the glare, you might try Zoood's Eyebrows or more conventional chrome trim hoods...just a thought to make the night ride more enjoyable. :D

Thanks for the tip. Never thought about it to be honest. I was thinking the hoods were on lights for the looks. Makes sense though. I will look into it.
John

In the summer I prefer to ride starting after dinner sometime and then get home about 10 or so. The fresh cool air in the country blowing in my face is the best way I can think of to end a day.

Although like some have mentioned I have to be alert for animals. I live in horse country. We have wandering horses, cows and 1/2 of Noah's Ark roaming around here.

Getting outside of your comfort zone can be a good thing. Use the experience to improve your focus and concentration. Riding at night or in rain is feared by many but each can be a useful learning tool. The first time I rode in the rain at night was a scary experience (may have been partially due to the dim headlight on my 73 Sporty), but with today's lighting it's not a problem.

Ask yourself, do you just want to ride around town (nothing wrong with that) or do you want to really get out and explore the country? If so you will need the skills to ride in the dark and rain, sometimes all at once. Better to try it a few times on purpose than to find yourself in an unknown area at night with a rain storm starting.

This is Great advice. most will prefer to ride during the day (I love warm nights myself any day), but there will be times due to unknown circumstances you may find yourself caught in a rain storm, fog, high wind or plain dark night (or all of the above at once...it happens). Best way to beat the odds is to be well practiced and confident in your abilities to ride in these adverse conditions. The best way to get that experiance is to go out in some adverse weather and just ride around a bit. See and feel that the bike doesn't float off the wet road at 35 mph or even 55 mph. A steady high wind coming at you cross wise is not the same as a semi passing you at 65 mph. the best part is, after a ride in the rain, you get to spend quality time with a towel and the pledge on your bike. And, if you do get caught in a bad weather condition, you will not be riding scared, over cautious riders are as dangerous as reckless riders. IMHO. :coffee

Oh, my 2 best night rides ever...1) riding form Forks WA to Portland Or in early August, when we left Forks at 6 pm it was close to 78-80 degrees. The further south we road the temp just maintained at about 70-75 all the way down. I-5 was empty at 8 pm and the trip was just incredible, the lights and smells of a summer night at 60 mph is exhilerating and crossing the Columbia was beautiful.

2) Riding from Anacortes to Forks returning from Oyster Run 2010. Had a stretch of nice warm weather intermingled with heavy sprinkles. after I got West of Port Angeles the heavy thunder and lightning storm hit. Pounding rain that we call "Forest Gump rain" with sky splitting lightning flashes and thunder louder than my pipes. My adrenaline rose and the final 45 miles in that late summer storm were fantastic. No fear, just the inconvenience of no matter what I did my glasses were drenched. Not cold either, just really really wet. Lovin it!!

At night within a week; 1 dead/1 hanging on...hit a black cow.
1 dead...hit deer. But the worst part, just terrible, guy was alive when a another guy found him laying in road. A car was coming, the guy couldn't get the cars attention.
Car ran over and killed the rider. Makes me sick.
Please be careful out there.
Ride Safe.
wilks3

Last edited:
A warm summer night is my favorite time to ride, especially out on a winding country rode or in the mountains. Magical.

I love ridin at night. The cool air makes the bike run a little better and it just seems different. The cooler breeze, all of the lights on in town and not as much traffic. The only real concern I have is when I'm out in the country areas the wild life is out also. I skinned a critter a few weeks ago. That regulator acts like a cheese grater.

One thing I have noticed since I re-worked the headlight......a bunch of folks flash their lights at me......I've got one of the 80/100 watt bulbs that I'm running through relays. Guess they're not used to seeing a bulb so bright on a bike. But it sure lights up the road!!!

Back