free website stats program Caught out after dark | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Caught out after dark

I think most of us Florida guy's like the after dark riding in the summer because of the temperature. I do ride in Va. and the deer are an issue. I do have a problem finding a pair of clear glasses that don't cause weird prisms at night. I have a pair of glasses now that are just horrible for after dark.

Bodeen

Night riding is a favorite of mine in the summer months. I have had one encounter with a deer, it came up out of a ditch and hit me just after the headlight. Never saw it untill it went under my handlebar and almost took my leg of as it went by. Stay alert and like Smitty said don't outride your headlight (upgrade them if you can). Even with all that you have to remember that somewhere out ther there is a deer or some other critter waiting to commit suicide.

I think most of us Florida guy's like the after dark riding in the summer because of the temperature. I do ride in Va. and the deer are an issue. I do have a problem finding a pair of clear glasses that don't cause weird prisms at night. I have a pair of glasses now that are just horrible for after dark.

Bodeen

These are all I wear on the bike. Both clear and dark lenses available, inexpensive and work real well for me.

Smith & Wesson Equalizer Safety Glasses with Gun Metal Frame and Anti-Fog Clear Lens

Attachments

• safetyglassesusa_2160_84200448.gif
    safetyglassesusa_2160_84200448.gif
    11.2 KB · Views: 6
I enjoy riding in the dark, but I get a lot of reflection in the windshield from my running lights. I ride different at night by looking over windshield (instead of through windshield most of the time in daylight).

To cut down on the glare, you might try Zoood's Eyebrows or more conventional chrome trim hoods...just a thought to make the night ride more enjoyable. :D

I ride after dark quite often. When I work th3 3:30 P.M. TO 11:30 P.M. shift. There is something about getting on the bike after work in the dark and riding home in that cool night air that is exhilarating. What has been said by others is all true, the deer, bugs, over driving the headlights and yes, clear glasses! Sunglasses didn't cut it for me! My eyesight isn't as good as it once was for nighttime riding so I have to pay special attention to obstacles that may be in the road that I would be able to see better in the daylight. Also, when I am riding home on Friday and Saturday night I have to watch for the drunks on the road.

I enjoy riding at night for all the reasons everybody else has mentioned. However, as much as I enjoy it I also try to limit myself because of all the additional hazards involved. Many of you have mentioned deer which are certainly a threat but also drunk drivers play a factor when riding at night. When I go out past dark I just make sure to bring my "A" game and stay as alert as I possibly can.

When i was younger and my only form of transport was my motorcycle i would ride in the dark a lot sometimes in winter here it does not get fully light and the temperature dips a fair bit in the dark i did fit long range spot lamps to the bikes i had in those days and i did do some of my fastest journey times late at night
these days i dont often ride in the dark but it does happen occasionally and i always carry thicker gloves and a warm top in the saddlebag just in case deer and badger are not good at road safety and i have to watch out for the young car drivers who are often not as good as they think they are

Brian

Same here, being from the San Antonio area. Just have to be careful for the nocturnal critters when out on the rural roads. I've came close to becoming hamburger meat, literally, when a cow decided to take a nap on FM775 near La Vernia. I swerved just in time ... brakes wouldn't have been quick enough. But in populated areas night driving is my favorite time to ride.

Holy cow..You could have been killed...Kiding..I dont know how you ever saw that cow at nite but Im glad you did.. I like riding at nite but the bugs are thick:D

Mat, maybe that cow had reflectors.....:lolrolling

Dynamight, I know that feeling of encountering a cow in the middle of the road, but at least I was in my maxima back in the early 90's going to a bike race and came around the bend on a country road at about 60 mph and there was a cow standing in the middle of the road just staring at me. I tried to get out and move the cow out of the road but she just wasn't going anywhere, I tried knocking on the door of the farm house near by but it was about 5:30 am and I got no answer. Scary but funny too. (Only funny because I had quick reactions and good breaks) :)

I don't do a lot of night riding but when I do I prefer yellow tinted glasses, got a pair of SW that were intended for shooting. The yellow tint improves my nightime vision.

I enjoy nite riding as well, but I have a 11mile stretch of 55mph country 2 lane through fields and trees. Too much chance of critters or something jumping into road and biting me and bike. Don't do it often.

Back