free website stats program cam bearings | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

cam bearings

BUBBIE,
Yep, did camplate with hyd. tensioners, highflow pump and all new bearings. It did have the INA bearings yet. All is real quite in the cam area now.
My concern is tick did not start till after 1st time I opened pushrod tubes, but on the other hand it does seem to have gotten worse since I first noticed it. Yes, replacing the lifters made no difference.
Have tried moving tubes around, but no change. Really seems to come from front of motor, rocker box area. Will have to let it cool down to remove head pipe to look in exh. port.

BUBBIE,
Yep, did camplate with hyd. tensioners, highflow pump and all new bearings. It did have the INA bearings yet. All is real quite in the cam area now.
My concern is tick did not start till after 1st time I opened pushrod tubes, but on the other hand it does seem to have gotten worse since I first noticed it. Yes, replacing the lifters made no difference.
Have tried moving tubes around, but no change. Really seems to come from front of motor, rocker box area. Will have to let it cool down to remove head pipe to look in exh. port.

Not knowing What cams you have??

Sometimes the springs and rocker-box can touch and make a noise.... needing to be Ground out a bit... Just another thought...

Using the doctors scope would get you CLOSER to the problem.... Ears seem to Not be that accurate for me...

signed....BUBBIE

my belief is it being in the adjustable rod Covers!

Cams seem to be fairly mild and noise was not there when I got the bike so I doubt clearance in the rocker box is the problem.
I have a stethoscope but don't like how it works. I hear more with a long screwdriver to the ear. Still can't pinpoint where it's coming from.
Seems to me I read somewhere about valves hanging up in the guides. So I added a few ounces of M/M oil to the engine oil. I figured it can't hurt.
It's going to be the weekend before I have time to look further. Will be happy to hear any other thoughts on this.:(

Cams seem to be fairly mild and noise was not there when I got the bike so I doubt clearance in the rocker box is the problem.
I have a stethoscope but don't like how it works. I hear more with a long screwdriver to the ear. Still can't pinpoint where it's coming from.
Seems to me I read somewhere about valves hanging up in the guides. So I added a few ounces of M/M oil to the engine oil. I figured it can't hurt.
It's going to be the weekend before I have time to look further. Will be happy to hear any other thoughts on this.:(

If your sure you have all done correctly, I would get it out and ride it for a good distance and see if it goes away. It may just correct its self.

Sticking valves would cause a missing effect you could feel and hear also...

signed....BUBBIE

Is this an exhaust leak, did you replace the gaskets?

I did replace the exh. gaskets, along with the intakes also. Last thing last nite I pulled the heat shield off the head pipe, the one closest to the exh. port just to be sure. Noise still there.:(

I did replace the exh. gaskets, along with the intakes also. Last thing last nite I pulled the heat shield off the head pipe, the one closest to the exh. port just to be sure. Noise still there.:(

Is the push-tube cover area Free of any Leak of oil???
I was thinking that IF a "0" ring was left out up on the top of the cover, Tube going Up too far may make a click when it comes into contact ... But a leak would be there...
I do remember on one of my bikes way back , the adjustable Push Rod, SE part, was out of round when locked after setting... I played with that for quite a while until I found out it was Not Straight after tightening the Lock Jamb Nut... It was rubbing inside the cover tube, and click noise was there also...

Com'n and get Lucky!!!!

signed....BUBBIE

A missing o-ring would be waaaay too easy. LOL. No. they are all there. I do recall at least one rod that did not spin true when checking for the lifters to have bled down. This would make sense as noise was not there until I adjusted rods for the first time. I will check into that further this weekend. Thanks.:s

Are you thinking now that you might have a bent push rod. If so how did it get bent.
kemo

Are you thinking now that you might have a bent push rod. If so how did it get bent.
kemo

I had a set of NEW, SE adjustables that ONE would Not align straight after Jamb Nut was tightened...
Being the big round ones and in the stock tubes, It made it easy to rub/hit the tube... I would take a little time while tightening the Nut on that one, and got it straight...

Yes I should of replaced it but got it to work fine and it wasn't bent Just "cocked" to one side after Jamb nut was tightened... Not right I know but it worked if I was careful setting the nut.

I never did care for those early SE adjustables,,, I found the threaded ends seemed "too loose" in the Threads and could tighten "out of round" (bend) at the end of the long rod if not careful on the adjustment tightening..

I Hope MY SE slender ones I Just ordered for my 09 FLHR are better made than the ones I had on my 2000 FXDS....

signed....BUBBIE

Back