free website stats program cam bearings | Harley Davidson Forums

cam bearings

2000classic

Just picked up a 2001 RK as a second bike. I am looking to do the cam tensioner upgrade and planning to purchase all the parts from online dealer, so dont want to order wrong parts thereby slowing down this repair. My question is this. Harley offers a Screamin Eagle cam service kit which includes all bearings and gaskets. Would this kit contain the Torringten bearings I want or will I have to find them elsewhere? Thanks in advance for replies.:D

Can't answer your question from experience, but for what it's worth, whenever I buy a "kit" of any kind, I always look for a list of exactly what is in the kit. Some are more complete than others. IMO I'd ask exactly what's what..Good luck.

Do search for John Herko's email address on the search function on this page. He sells the all inclusive kit. Bearings and even tools if you want.

Bodeen

Just picked up a 2001 RK as a second bike. I am looking to do the cam tensioner upgrade and planning to purchase all the parts from online dealer, so dont want to order wrong parts thereby slowing down this repair. My question is this. Harley offers a Screamin Eagle cam service kit which includes all bearings and gaskets. Would this kit contain the Torringten bearings I want or will I have to find them elsewhere? Thanks in advance for replies.:D

I just did the upgrade on my 02 wideglide and the kit came with the cam bearings but they weren't the torrington brgs. I ordered the special tools from Georges Garage and got some torrington brgs from him at the same time. the tools worked perfectly and are of very good quality ----jack

KEMO (moderator) has All the information for this type of conversion and He may come along with the help you need... He has the Contacts for You to get the good parts and the better deals...

Best to go the Right way the First time as many others Have!

I don't think the HD kit comes with the Better Bearings...

signed....BUBBIE

BUBBIE is correct the factory kit does not supply the Torrington bearings. The supplier of the kit that TQ and I and many others have used comes from John Wadsworth (AKA Herko). He is in south Indianna near Kentucky border. His contact info
herko@insightbb.com
812 923 9027

His kit is so complete that when you start the job you will only stop for food. There is nothing missing from his kit.
kemo

Thanks everyone for the replies. I got the info I needed. It will be about 3 weeks before I can tear into this project and I will update you then. Thanks again.:D

So here is my update. 2001 RK, carbed. Got the torrington bearings from George's Garage along with all needed tools. Got the S/E camplate, oil pump upgrade from online dealer. Right tools for the job made the whole thing a pc. of cake. Now the problem. One reason for doing this upgrade now instead of next winter as I had planned is a lifter like noise that I can not find. When I test rode the bike before purchase, I did not notice anything even tho I got it fully warmed up. The guy I bought it from knew nothing as to what was done to the bike before he got it. He had it about 2 yrs. So I get it home and proceed to check it over. Open the pushrod tubes to find adj. pushrods, so assume it may have had cams installed. Close it up and ride. Now getting ticking at full warm up, but sometimes at startup also. Thought maybe weak lifters with over 40k miles on the bike. Put in a set of "B" lifters and checked pushrods. 24 tpi. so gave them 3 turns to equal .125". Still got ticking. So now on to the camplate upgrade. Front exh. gasket showed signs of possible leakage so hoped that was it. Was not. Replaced intake seals as I had some on hand so why not. Still got tick! Should mention tick is there at cruising, but more noticeable on decel, at a guess from 3k rpm down to 2k rpm. is the worse. Also when cruising, noise really sounds like coming from front of gas tank. Back to the garage. At idle, blip the throttle and on decel really sounds like coming from front rocker box so I open that up confident I would find something. Removed rocker assy. and checked it over. Seems like everything is nice an tight. One thought here. Would a loose valve guide do this and any way to check with out pulling the head? Valve springs looked in-tacked, did not see anything obvious there. Other area of concern is the pushrods possibly hitting the tubes. Just checked some old orig. rods. They measure at .375", new ones at .437" on the main body, .540" at area of adjuster and .565 across high point of lock nut. Checked I.D. of tube. It is .705" in area of adjuster and .610" on the upper halve of the tube. As I said, noise really can be heard over front of gas tank and don't want to open up more than I have to needlessly so really looking forward to your thoughts. Sorry for the long post, just trying to cover all bases. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone for the replies. I got the info I needed. It will be about 3 weeks before I can tear into this project and I will update you then. Thanks again.:D

So here is my update. 2001 RK, carbed. Got the torrington bearings from George's Garage along with all needed tools. Got the S/E camplate, oil pump upgrade from online dealer. Right tools for the job made the whole thing a pc. of cake. Now the problem. One reason for doing this upgrade now instead of next winter as I had planned is a lifter like noise that I can not find. When I test rode the bike before purchase, I did not notice anything even tho I got it fully warmed up. The guy I bought it from knew nothing as to what was done to the bike before he got it. He had it about 2 yrs. So I get it home and proceed to check it over. Open the pushrod tubes to find adj. pushrods, so assume it may have had cams installed. Close it up and ride. Now getting ticking at full warm up, but sometimes at startup also. Thought maybe weak lifters with over 40k miles on the bike. Put in a set of "B" lifters and checked pushrods. 24 tpi. so gave them 3 turns to equal .125". Still got ticking. So now on to the camplate upgrade. Front exh. gasket showed signs of possible leakage so hoped that was it. Was not. Replaced intake seals as I had some on hand so why not. Still got tick! Should mention tick is there at cruising, but more noticeable on decel, at a guess from 3k rpm down to 2k rpm. is the worse. Also when cruising, noise really sounds like coming from front of gas tank. Back to the garage. At idle, blip the throttle and on decel really sounds like coming from front rocker box so I open that up confident I would find something. Removed rocker assy. and checked it over. Seems like everything is nice an tight. One thought here. Would a loose valve guide do this and any way to check with out pulling the head? Valve springs looked in-tacked, did not see anything obvious there. Other area of concern is the pushrods possibly hitting the tubes. Just checked some old orig. rods. They measure at .375", new ones at .437" on the main body, .540" at area of adjuster and .565 across high point of lock nut. Checked I.D. of tube. It is .705" in area of adjuster and .610" on the upper halve of the tube. As I said, noise really can be heard over front of gas tank and don't want to open up more than I have to needlessly so really looking forward to your thoughts. Sorry for the long post, just trying to cover all bases. Thanks!

Thought it odd that my update did not show up under "Todays Post". Is it because it was merged with my post of Jun 4th? Sorry for asking, but seemed strange not to have seen any replies on this as of yet.:(

Thought it odd that my update did not show up under "Todays Post". Is it because it was merged with my post of Jun 4th? Sorry for asking, but seemed strange not to have seen any replies on this as of yet.:(

Take a stethoscope to give it a good listen.... I doubt it to be a crank rod as I had that problem on 2000 model and it would Tap under throttle, not on the compression down like you state...

If I understand you DID the full conversion?,,, New high volume oil pump and hyd. tension and the cam plate?

The tick you say you hear YET after u replaced the lifters with B's... Asking if it could be a guide?
If you find the NOISE with stethoscope, It will make it easier WHERE to look... If in the intake or exhaust, You Can pull the intake or the exhaust and check for a loose guide there..... Is the noise there when you kick it over with the plugs out or only when running?

Let me know if you check this out..

signed....BUBBIE

Back