free website stats program Calling all Sportster riders! Am I to tall for this great bike?! | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Calling all Sportster riders! Am I to tall for this great bike?!

I am 6'3" about 225, had a 2005 1200XR, that I played with for a year or two, built up the engine (Stage 2), with forward controls and a different seat, was OK for a couple of hundred mile rides. Wouldn't want to spend all day on it, but it was a blast on the curvey roads in the mountains, handled great, and I loved the dual rotor front breaks. VERY quick.

Dude:

At the risk of getting into trouble with the moderator for my posting this for the umpteenth time...

TEST RIDE * TEST RIDE * TEST RIDE.

You just never really know until you ride one.

Most Harley dealers will allow test rides of their bikes if you show up with license, helm, gloves, eye protections, etc. I thought I wanted a 1200 Customer until I rode one. I just was NOT comfortable with the forward controls so I got a 1200 Low. Show up and test ride several different models, you might be surprised at what you end up prefering.

I am definitely much happier with the Low.

PS I used to own a Softail Heritage, thought it was too big for me but fine for two up cross country touring: I am 200 lbs 5' 10". Riding alone I am far more comfortable on the XL 1200. I know a girl who is like 5' 4" and 120 lbs and she traded in her Sportster for the Softail Heritage and says she is way more comfortable on the Heritage.

Go figure.

You will NEVER really know what will fit YOU until you RIDE several bikes hence

TEST RIDE * TEST RIDE * TEST RIDE!

For what it's worth.

Moe.

Who Cares, I think Im too fat for My Sporty but who cares its a HARLEY. and the Girls Dig IT:bigsmiley20:

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 81
If you are gonna worry about what you look like instead of how you feel...you're missing something about ridin ...I've ridden sportsters since '69 and only this year have I switched to a cruiser...I'm 6' and have weighed as much as 230 and rode sportsters 'cuz they were faster and handled curves way better than the big bikes....I've never had a windshield until this new Road King and I've got all kinds of stories I've told...have caught a lot of grief from my friends about ridin a dirt bike but I've never worried about makin it thru road construction sites or tight curves and when I feel like it I twist the throttle and leave 'em all behind....over the past 3 yrs she's taken me to Wyoming, Louisiana, DC, upper peninsula, and 20 some states.....one thing I would say tho, get a 1200 right off and make sure you get the right handlebars for you...makes all the difference in the world

I'm six foot and 190. I have a 883 sporty. I can't see myself on it but it sure feels good. Thats what makes my clock tic. I've seen really big guys on little bity bikes and it's cool for them. It's just what ever turns YOUR throttle that counts

I am 6' - 166 pounds, is the HD Sportster 883 Iron going to be to small for me? I hear a lot of mixed comments. Any suggestions. I've sat on the bike and it feels nice. But will I look strange sitting on the bike.

I must say I REALLY like the look of the bike. What kind up customization is available and needed to a rider my height, to look and feel comfortable.
i ride a o7 883 @ 6' 200lbs not bad at all

My friend is 6'5" 350lbs. I think he lies about his weight though. lol He has a yellow sporty and he gets a lot trash talking. But he loves it and would not trade it for anything. When he rides it. He looks like he is wearing a yellow thong. Too funny not to share. Now he is too big for the bike. Who cares what you ride, you are riding right? Nobody said you have to keep this bike. You can always trade it in for a bigger bike later on. Just don't wait until you are 350 plus pounds. lol

Back