free website stats program Calling all Sportster riders! Am I to tall for this great bike?! | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Calling all Sportster riders! Am I to tall for this great bike?!

I recently saw a big guy on a Sportster.
I thought it looked a bit silly.
I immediately asked my wife if I look like that too.
But I am a small guy, so she told me not to worry.

But hey, if it works for you, don't let others stop you...

Re: Recommend Entry Level/Beginner Harley's for 6' + people

The Softail Standard is another good choice especially if it fits your wallet. Buying a sporty there's a lot of people that move up for different reasons soon after buying it.

Also initially when I sat on the 2009 Dyna Street Bob (Which I love!) and moved it around, I found that it felt heavy (compared to the Sportster) - perhaps making it harder to maneuver then a Sportster. But apparently this is not the case. Size wise for someone my height (6') It felt perfect.
Any comments?

Last edited:
I'm 6', 180lbs. My first bike was an XL1200C. It fit well in my opinion. That said, despite a Corbin seat and Progressive shocks front and back, it was a pretty tiring ride after a few hours in the saddle. I took possession of an FLHR exactly one year to the day after getting the Sporty. I still like the Sporty for some quicky, twisties riding; but, the RK is my bike of choice now.

The good news is that if you're buying new from the dealer, there is no downside for getting the Sporty now and then upgrading later if the spirit moves you!

if you rin the market for 2nd hand machines the world is your oyster, bob with forwards, softails, Ultra's, roadkings,road glides, and if you really want a sporty get one with forward controls as it will make it easier on the legs being able to stretch out
I just went over the HD dealer, saw a beautiful used 2005 Softail FXST. I'm starting to open up to the bigger bikes a lot more. Your absolutly right about the market opening wide up once you start looking into 2nd hand machines! I'm very excited.

If you do decide to go with the Sporty, The new ones have the forward controls and with minimal effort you can make extensions for it . I made them for my 2006 883c for about 60.00 including paint. I extended them 2 1/4 inches and cannot dream of riding with the stocks any more. 5'11 and 205 lbs...

Well, I am 5'7" tall and my Sportster fits me just fine. Hey, if you like the bike - get it. Don't worry what anyone else thinks. Sportsters are fun. They flat out haul and are nimble and handle wonderfully - especially around twisting roads (all our favorites). So go for it and enjoy.

I am 6' 1" and in full gear weigh in at about 220 lbs and I have to say the sporty was a good choice for me anyway.
After not having a bike for 12 years I bought stock a 04 883 custom in 06 with the intent of riding it for three years and then trading up to a Softail for more two up riding.
After two years of riding it I decided to keep it and make the mods to make it more comfortable for both of us and to have more power.
So far I have put on Road King air shocks, Progressive springs in the front end and converted the motor to a NRHS 1212 with stage one heads.
The only have to do now is a mustang wide touring seat.
Total cost is going to be about $1700.00 with out any extra money out for monthly payments.
Now my want to do list is another story all together.

Harleydude, the 883 Sporty MAY be a little small for you, but then I am 5'6" 135 lbs and ride a Sporty 1200 find the weight of 600 lbs wet...eh..."substantial" even if the seat height is low. A 1000cc motorcycle is not a small motorcycle. If you are new to the motorcycling community ride solo and equipped with foward controls, it will suit you fine. Be careful, the showroom is pretty deceiving, the floor is flat, the emotions are high and the bike is stationary so most any bike will feel quite easy to roll off the stand and paddle walk, but at 600-900 lbs, parking lot maneuvers make most bikes cumbersome and not how they are used 99.9% of the time. If you have your license (you have completed an MSF riding course hopefully) and some motorcycle offroad or street riding experience or some on a Harley; participate in one of the HD Test Ride days and try different ones.

I might get a lot of flack here, but if you are new to motorcycling, buy a used Harley, one that's 3 or 4 years old, roost on it for a year and see if you really have found the bike that you can live on, or if not: you are not out a lot of dough, but have seat time and comfort in the knowledge that HD motorcycles hold their basic value well. With experience under your belt, having met and talked with your friends along with this Harley community you can set your priorities for new iron you wish to buy on your terms.

Do you have a two-up partner you want to share the experience with, do you need long term comfort or storage (bagger) or does it want you to expand the performance envelope (XR Sporty, V-Rod or Buell), do you like the low rider look or traditional classic look of (Road Glide, Heritage or Fat Boy), or all minimalist city street looks (Sporty, Nightster or Bob). These are just examples of how your riding style once established actually determine your riding preference...your height is a minor issue as an 800cc or larger displacment motorcycle is really not neccessarily "entry" level gear by most any stretch.

Harleydude - This is the best advice I have seen. I am fortunate and have many rides, Harley and not for specific purposes. When we want to go for long rides, all day and more, I choose something other than my Sportster. Shorter rides, under 150mi, I always choose the Sportster. Having said that, this summer I intend to do some solo short trips on the Sportster (because you meet the nicest people on a Harley!)

I can tell you that as an owner of a Nighster, you will undoubtedly want to change the suspension. I changed suspension and have added forward controls and the ride is quite good.

Ride Safe

Jake

Hey harleydude you might check out chopperexchange.com if looking for a good used bikes. We were able to find our friend one for a very good price not to far from where we live. You can choose brand /model, price range ,year and mileage to narrow your search . Good luck. No matter what you ride ride safe and wear the gear. Enjoy the ride

Back