free website stats program Broken Stud Bolt | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Broken Stud Bolt

I graduated from tapping the stud with a hammer to a solid whack from the top. The stud popped right out. I took the broken stud to Fastenal and they said they had no such animal. I got a carriage bolt and ground the square protrusion from the underside of the head of the bolt with my dremel so it would fit in the hole better. The problem I had was that there was nothing to keep the carriage bolt from turning when I tried to tighten the nut. I gave up on the carriage bolt and got a cap head screw so I could use a hex wrench to keep the screw from turning when tightening the bolt. That worked just fine. I looked at the torque wrench and said to myself "not again" and tightened by feel. Looks like I am good to go again.

It could have been a lack of a proper oil charge, some foreign matter like copper shavings from the tubing or just a manufacturing defect.

Moisture in the system or any noncondensable are always an issue. Low charge, dirty coils are also issue for the compressor to overheat and utimately cause failure. This is specially true with units that do not have pressure cut outs as a safety to save the compressor.

Nice work on getting your bike back operational.

Bodeen

Back