free website stats program Broken Stud Bolt | Harley Davidson Forums

Broken Stud Bolt

dale0202

I finally decided to purchase and install the HD oil cooler today after oil temps hit about 270. Everything was going great until I put the torque wrench on the mounting nut. After a few turns, and before the torque wrench clicked, I snapped the stud bolt. I figured I would just replace the stud bolt and pulled everything back off. Unfortunately, the stud didn't come out after I tapped it with a hammer a few times. Is it actually welded in place or do I just need to keep tapping?

Sorry to hear that. Like ultrat said, try heat. Soak it with liquid wrench (although this is not real effective with bolts/studs where loctite has been used). You might try grabbing it with a vice grips.

I'm going to install the H-D Premium Oil Cooler soon so I am very curious about which stud broke. Did this happen when you were torquing down the 7/16 hex key? Can you post a picture?

Something I have had luck with is after heating bolt drop some candle wax on bolt, hot wax seems to work even when others will not.

It is the stud that fastens the voltage regulator to the bike. I can feel the bottom of the stud. It is round and feels painted. I wasn't sure if the paint was that tough and was holding it in place when I tapped the broken stud from the top or if it was tack welded in place. I assumed it would just drop out of place when I tapped it from the top, but it didn't.

Back