free website stats program Broken Stud Bolt | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Broken Stud Bolt

I have done alot of work on my bike and autos and I never use a tourqe wrench unless I am tourqing the heads or something critical . I feel more comfortable tighting things by feel and I have yet to have a problem . Maybe I just been lucky but I have never broke anything by over tourqing .

I have done alot of work on my bike and autos and I never use a tourqe wrench unless I am tourqing the heads or something critical . I feel more comfortable tighting things by feel and I have yet to have a problem . Maybe I just been lucky but I have never broke anything by over tourqing .

I'm with you Ironmark. Replacing muffler clamps on previous bike & torque wrench set on lower recommended torque setting (Craftsmen Torque wrench)... and pop goes the bolt, and another trip the dealer for another exhaust clamp. Critical fasteners are different I definately use torque wrench then... (But hold my breath until I hear/feel click/click) :D

I haven't had a chance to do anything with the stud. Right after my original post, I realized the A/C compressor was locked up on my home unit. This was not a good thing since it has been very hot in the Dallas area. I guess Saturday was just not my lucky day. But, on Sunday I did find a deal on a 2 year old condensing unit, installed it and switched it on about 9:00 last night. So, now I can get back to fixing the bike!

I just got off the phone with the local Harley dealer parts manager and asked if they had a stud in stock. He looked it up and said there was no part number for the stud; however, it was a common 1/4 X 20 size. He said he thought it was either pressed into place or welded and suggested a punch or a drill to remove the broken stud. He suggested a carriage bolt from the local hardware store as a replacement stud.

Hoople i think the one in his condenser / air conditioner / house..

Yes I know. I was just wondering what caused it. Bad start capacitor, undercharge (superheat), power surge that causes re-starts against high head pressure..etc.
Compressors usually last a long long time and was just wondering what went south to cause a lock up.

But an HD Ultra with Air..? Would that be too cool:p

Yes I know. I was just wondering what caused it. Bad start capacitor, undercharge (superheat), power surge that causes re-starts against high head pressure..etc.
Compressors usually last a long long time and was just wondering what went south to cause a lock up.

But an HD Ultra with Air..? Would that be too cool:p

Sometimes when HVAC systems are recharged the freon that is used does not contain oil in it as is the case from the factory... & the compressor can seize up. Thats one senario, another is that something just broke in the compressor...

I watched my uncle who is a master mechanic, remove broken bolts using a welder! Disconnect the battery first. Next fire up the welder and right on the broken stud weld a quick small bead and pound it flat with a ball peen hammer. Let this cool! Continue this until you've applied enough length to slip a nut over this stem you've created. Spot weld the nut on and the broken stud comes out easily with a wrench. Remember low heat is the key! Good luck

What locked up the A/C compressor?

A compressor is just a pump. So, just like every pump, or anything mechanical for that matter, it will fail at some point. I don't know the specific cause for it locking up. I just know that it would not pump and would just hum for a couple of seconds when it tried to run.

Back