free website stats program Broken Leg | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Broken Leg

I've read in other places where people have had master cylinder issues (non HD bikes). Basically the master cylinder wasn't allowing the brakes to release completely. I can imagine that while laying there with a broken leg, you weren't too worried about looking at the bike, but did anyone notice if the rotors were really hot? If the brakes were dragging they could have gotten hot enough to lock up.

I would think the H-D engineers would be all over this case. Sorry for your mishap. Heal quickly.

Thorns

Thank Thorns for your Reply. The engineers are not the only ones that want to be all over it. Other problems have come out of this investigation.

Would it help any if I told you the frame was broken and the engineers say that it is not a result of the accident. They said that this is possibly the popping noise I heard just before the accident. Now my question is this. The Bike was at the dealership for over two months being repaired. If the dismantled the bike and inspected it as they said why did they not find it.? There are a lot of other things that have taken place that I would like to tell you but I am leary of posting here.

I'm waiting for Hogfarmer to chime on & fill us in w/the details. Looks like he's gathered quite a few curious minds & we need more info.

I've only had a front brake lock once, but it was due to my "novice" skills way back in 1975 on a Yamahahaha 200cc twin street bike. Just purchased the ride & tried cornering too fast; in a panic grabbed too much brake. Biggest problem - did it right in front of my mom who wanted to take the bike right back to the owner...don't think so. Needless to say, I learned & haven't had a repeat. Would like to know more on Hogfarmer's incident???

Do you think a broken frame would have had any effect. Broken frame is not a result of accident according to the engineers who have bike.

Not sure yet. I have not recieved the official report from the engineers. Just a call from my attorneys. I will be going to see the bike soon. I have not seen the bike since sept of last year.

I hope all the broke frame bike goes back to HD "after" everything is settled and you get a new bike. I hope this doesn't turn into he said, she said finger pointing mess!
Good Luck....Heal Fast....and please keep us informed.
wilks3

Not sure yet. I have not recieved the official report from the engineers. Just a call from my attorneys. I will be going to see the bike soon. I have not seen the bike since sept of last year.

Hogfarmer, hope your leg is healing and that you will soon be back in the wind. I guess some of the questions that need to be answered will take time for an in depth evaluation of the frame and the accident photos. Where the frame broke will probably give your professionals an idea if that was the cause for the brake to lock. Do you know if it was both brakes on the front or just one side? Since you were not applying any pressure to the brakes something else had to cause the pads to close down on the disk. Another question will be did the brake locking and throwing the bike up and over cause the frame to break? Or did the resulting crash when everything landed cause the break? Since you have an attorney (smart move) I'm sure he or she would rather that you not talk about this untill after all the facts have been presented and a settlement has been reached, but I sure would love to see some photos of the frame and the accident scene. Keep us posted as to your recovery and let us know how you make out.

Thinking outloud here hoping you are OK, I have seen brakes lock before and I would have them inspect the brake system paying close attention to the front master cylinder. If the pushrod was not assembled correctly or the master lost its free travel and or the hoses collapsing all could cause the brake to lock up , Good Luck and hope you get the answers you need

Back