free website stats program Broken Leg | Harley Davidson Forums

Broken Leg

Hogfarmer

Hi everyone, I am from NE Colorado. I purchased my 2010 RK Classic in aug of 09. I purchased it while working in OHIO. I got to ride it 97 miles when the front brake locked up at 20mph. You can guess the rest. Has any one or do you know of someone with a similar problem?

Sorry about your misfortune. I have never heard of a brake locking up all by itself, but there is a 1st time for everything. Were you braking while it happened or was it just an instant lock?

Did you use the front brake to stop and have the wheel turned? A heavy touring bike will go over real quick and it will feel like the brake locked up.

Boy, I just can't see how that could happen...if you ever find out i would love to know the answer. I have worked the senerio over and over and just can't see how that would be possible unless human error is to blame.Like Richards no offense intended.

Careful about making assumptions...broken leg is a result of impact...ABS is not a cureall for collision avoidance or steering supplement to plain ordinary experience and riding skill.

What was the circumstances by the time 20mph happened, did you grab the brakes and recall feeling the pulsations of ABS working, until the collision, or did it just happen so fast, ABS did not actually come into play?

Lot of circumstances, conditions and tactics before during and after the accident that need to be answered before conclusion that ABS was truly the root cause of the accident.

For example, how much speed had been scrubbed off before the 20mph lockup incident occurred being one. Did you let up so the ABS suddenly stopped and high sided you?

Is it possible that something got caught in the spokes of the wheel and was jammed against the forks? Unlikely but possible.

Back