free website stats program Broken Leg | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Broken Leg

Had a friend that had a problem like that. I think it had something to do with the braided cables on the bike.

Had a friend that had a problem like that. I think it had something to do with the braided cables on the bike.

Just talked to that friend and he said his problem was the ground cable on the battery. It wasn't making a good ground, so it was grounding through the braided cables and caused the front brake to lock.

I have had my front break lock up on me. but it was on a 30 year old bike. the break fluid was so old and so dirty that it clogged the tiny port to release the pressure off the breaks. thus my crash. no broken leg for me, just some road rash.

A lessen to be learned is to flush your break fluid.

Careful about making assumptions...broken leg is a result of impact...ABS is not a cureall for collision avoidance or steering supplement to plain ordinary experience and riding skill.

What was the circumstances by the time 20mph happened, did you grab the brakes and recall feeling the pulsations of ABS working, until the collision, or did it just happen so fast, ABS did not actually come into play?

Lot of circumstances, conditions and tactics before during and after the accident that need to be answered before conclusion that ABS was truly the root cause of the accident.

For example, how much speed had been scrubbed off before the 20mph lockup incident occurred being one. Did you let up so the ABS suddenly stopped and high sided you?
==============================================
Post # 3 NON abs

I'm waiting for Hogfarmer to chime on & fill us in w/the details. Looks like he's gathered quite a few curious minds & we need more info.

I've only had a front brake lock once, but it was due to my "novice" skills way back in 1975 on a Yamahahaha 200cc twin street bike. Just purchased the ride & tried cornering too fast; in a panic grabbed too much brake. Biggest problem - did it right in front of my mom who wanted to take the bike right back to the owner...don't think so. Needless to say, I learned & haven't had a repeat. Would like to know more on Hogfarmer's incident???

Last edited:
Well thank you all for sharing your experence's. I would of never thought that a ground wire or worn pad would create this senerio.

Could it have been the wheel bearing not the brake, the wheel can still lock up. With 97 miles I would say bad bearing or over tightened axle, just a thought. Any stories of bad wheel bearings?

Opps, if non ABS...quickest way to drop a bike before rider can react, is to have the wheel cut slightly to the left or right and "grabbing" the front brake lever rather than smooth controlled squeeze...or hit just a tiny bit of loose sand or gravel, especially at low speeds under 20mph. It is very easy to lock the front brake or at least compress the front fork, so rebound will unweight front tire losing traction, skidding front tire.

Thanks for the replys, I have been rideing for about 30 years. All makes of bikes. 1st bike was a Ducati in the 60s. Yes this is my first Harley. Had just made a left turn from dead stop. but do not attribute this to being a "novice" rider. Did not have hand or fingers on brake. Had just made left turn from a full stop.

There was a poping sound from the front wheel, the front wheel locked and skidded. skid marks on road in accident photos. Biked flipped up and over onto seat and saddlebags. License plate braket came down on leg. Leather from boot was still in bracket. Was riding with a group of others. Guy behind me said he thought I was pulling over to stop when bike flipped.

Last edited by a moderator:
To add what I posted earlier, my friend was riding in straight line at 60MPH when the bike started slowing down. He kept trying to speed up, but it kept slowing. Around 20MPH, he pulled off the road and the front brake finally locked completely. The pads were shot and the rotors cherry red. HD dealer diagnosed the ground was not making good contact at battery.

Back